Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefox 4 ..ready for download !

Options
  • 22-03-2011 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭

Just ran the update ... looks to be much faster :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Will give it a go, hopefully it will be faster.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just installed it. It's not even fractionally faster, still hangs for ages when typing anything into the address bar. Boo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

Just installed it. It's not even fractionally faster, still hangs for ages when typing anything into the address bar. Boo!

not what all the tests are showing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I had to switch to Chrome, never understood what happened to Firefox and I know there are one million posts on the subject, but it became unusable.

I am trying the updates from time to time, the latest one is probably OK.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Jagle wrote: »
    not what all the tests are showing

My own personal tests are the only ones that matter to me :P

edit: I didn't realise I was in the Mac forum, I came here through the search feature so my posts are not really relevant, sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Only just installed Firefox 4 and it already looks like an improvement, YouTube videos no longer stutter every 20 seconds when playing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Swapped to Chrome last week and don't think I'll be back, the difference between the two is night and day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I just put on Firefox 4 and have a couple of problems that I wonder is anyone else having?

1. The 'Organise Bookmarks' option from the Bookmarks menu is gone so I can't change the bookmarks.

2. The Google toolbar won't let me select the options that are prompted as you type. When I click on them nothing happns.

EDit - just solved the first. still working on the second

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

The Google toolbar won't let me select the options that are prompted as you type. When I click on them nothing happns.

EDit - just solved the first. still working on the second

It's broken! It works if you use the keyboard but not clicks. I just uninstalled the toolbar, and went back to the built-in search. No great advantage in Google's one and they don't seem to be maintaining it.

I don't really use firefox, preferring Safari in general, but just giving v4 a run - it definitely much quicker than 3.6, probably quicker than safari, but will probably go back to safari - especially if I can't find a way to remove the icons from the bookmarks bar - total waste of space and looks ugly.

- barry

barryj wrote: »
    especially if I can't find a way to remove the icons from the bookmarks bar - total waste of space and looks ugly.

Found an add-on to do this - Bookmarks Deiconizer.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/bookmarks-deiconizer/

- barry

• Advertisement

I did find it fast on certain sites, such as gmail.

Though overall it hasn't taken me from chrome/chromium, at present I am using 'Iron' which is chromium with all the intrusive google bits taken out, and I'm liking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

Just ran the update today a friend inform just came out last night

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pablo-jericho

Nice, I'm stupidly loyal to Firefox but its about time they sorted it out a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Do you have many extensions installed? most of the slowness people complain about from firefox is as of a result of their extensions

edit: I use chrome but I will probably have to use firefox for development so I hope this is an improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭Talisman

NoDrama wrote: »
    I did find it fast on certain sites, such as gmail.

Though overall it hasn't taken me from chrome/chromium, at present I am using 'Iron' which is chromium with all the intrusive google bits taken out, and I'm liking it.
    Intrusive Google bits?

Iron is not always kept up to date, for example the latest build of Iron for Mac is still v9.x, while Chrome is v10.x. The browser is over two weeks out of date.

Talisman wrote: »
    Intrusive Google bits?
    ... for example the latest build of Iron for Mac is still v9.x, while Chrome is v10.x.....

Anyone else find Chrome's version numbering a bit pointless - at the rate they're incrementing the major number, we'll have Chrome 15 by the end of the year!

- barry

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

Got the updated firefox4 yesterday but it disabled my norton toolbar not compatible yet.It was handy for seen it sites were safe before entering them its a pain that norton werent on the ball for the offical release of firefox4.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Harrocks wrote: »
    Got the updated firefox4 yesterday but it disabled my norton toolbar not compatible yet.It was handy for seen it sites were safe before entering them its a pain that norton werent on the ball for the offical release of firefox4.

Try WOT (Web Of Trust) addon instead...

Nick

barryj wrote: »
    Anyone else find Chrome's version numbering a bit pointless - at the rate they're incrementing the major number, we'll have Chrome 15 by the end of the year!
    By the summer! v8.x was released in December, v9.x in January, ..., v11.x in March. It seems every time a feature is added it gets a major version number.

Harrocks wrote: »
    Chrome has that feature built in. One of the benefits of Google is that they maintain blacklists of phishing and malware websites. Chrome receives updates for these lists periodically so the browser can warn users when they attempt to visit a dodgy site.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Talisman wrote: »
    Chrome has that feature built in. One of the benefits of Google is that they maintain blacklists of phishing and malware websites. Chrome receives updates for these lists periodically so the browser can warn users when they attempt to visit a dodgy site.

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/its-an-attack.html

Firefox uses Googles list aswell I think, it certainly blocks dodgy sites by default, visit that example page in firefox

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pablo-jericho

Well impressed so far now, very sleek. Not much different tho tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

Solved my problem using safe search from the norton main does the same as the toolbar.Keeping firefox4 its tidy .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The first thing I did was move the tabs back to where they belong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I had to swap over to Chrome from Firefox about 1 month ago, Firefox was using 170% CPU and my machine was noticeably slower and battery life was terrible.

Although switching to chrome wasn't exactly a walk in the park either, a process called "Chrome Renderer" would appear and start eating up the CPU, was like Firefox 3 again...

Updated to Firefox 4 and so far so good, using less CPU than chrome of Firefox 3. So I'm happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

I find that firefox 4 still eats up just as much ram as Firefox 3 did !!
    It also hangs quite a bit when loading up some sites where as with 3 they load perfect also some of my most essential add ons don't work with it major booo !!

I'm running Firefox 3 again just until they sort out the new versions personally i prefer the look of Firefox 3 than 4..

Suppose ill have to take the jump to 4 eventually tough:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Does anyone know if chrome supports any ad blocker add on's or anything
    i really have to keep ad's blocked they reck my head popping up everywhere:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

Firefox 4 ..ready for download !
    Just ran the update ... looks to be much faster. Youtube is much faster to download them because most of them are FLV files and MPEG files on websites like these http://pokemonepisode.org/, http://fgepisode.org/, http://adepisode.org/, http://tsepisode.org/, http://spepisode.org/, http://dbzepisode.org/ and http://futuramaepisode.org/ are still slow as ever to download.

and menu bar isnt plain sight like it use be, it right inside firefox logo and people that are non computer experts may not notice and problemly still wondering where is menu bar

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

jay93 wrote: »
    I find that firefox 4 still eats up just as much ram as Firefox 3 did !!
    It also hangs quite a bit when loading up some sites where as with 3 they load perfect also some of my most essential add ons don't work with it major booo !!

it is probably your add ons slowing it down
    Does anyone know if chrome supports any ad blocker add on's or anything
    i really have to keep ad's blocked they reck my head popping up everywhere:o

yep, its called adblock

Advertisement