Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar panel

Options
  • 22-03-2011 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi I wonder if there is solar panel expert on here.
    I mounted a 120 watt solar panel which is charging 2 batteries thru a solar charge controller.My question is when the panel is done charging is there any way to harness the surplus power.The solar charge controller has a connection to drive a load but only from the battery.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Sorry to sound obvious, but to harness the surplus power, you'd need to have a battery to store it in, or something to use it up with.

You need a battery to do that with because it'd be more regulated than the fluctuating power coming from a solar panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Yea. I have 2 leisure batteries and they're fully charged by 10.30.
    I'm thinking if I connected something like a coolbox to the output of the panel
    as well as the battery charging would it do any harm.

defike wrote: »
    Yea. I have 2 leisure batteries and they're fully charged by 10.30.
    I'm thinking if I connected something like a coolbox to the output of the panel
    as well as the battery charging would it do any harm.

I don't think it'd be a good idea. What's the output rating of the solar panel?

I think it might fluctuate too much for use with anything without a regulator.

120w.But if it fluctuates the box would just go off i think.I don't know it just seems a waste of sun.I might start charging the neighbours batteries.
    Sorry to hear about your registering problems I'm just happy I got in last June.

defike wrote: »
    120w.But if it fluctuates the box would just go off i think.I don't know it just seems a waste of sun.I might start charging the neighbours batteries.
    Sorry to hear about your registering problems I'm just happy I got in last June.

Thanks

120W, but is there a measurement for the voltage, like 12V +/- 5% or something like that?

• Advertisement

It doesn't say.I will just use up battery power during the day such as dehumidifier or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Thanks

120W, but is there a measurement for the voltage, like 12V +/- 5% or something like that?

It would be 120 W at 17.5 V or something like that pasically about 7 amps. If you get say 10 hours of sunlight with 50% output then you'd get 35AH a day which is enough to charge a 70AH battery in two days or a 120 AH in about 4 days. Load of power if you only use the van at weekends. When you are using it then during the say it will probably replace anything you use.

When in comes to solar pannels forget about power and look at current as you are charging amp hours into your battery which is a fixed 12 voltage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Out of curiosity, what solar kit did you get? Fit yourself? Any issues?

Bought panel on eBay.Used a PWM Solar charge controller also from eBay and that's it.

Advertisement