Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit union loan

Options
  • 22-03-2011 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi guys I have a credit union loan of about 4000. Its only a student loan so the repayments are about 100 a month.
    The thing is I'm now working full time and nearly have 4000 euro saved up. Should i pay off the loan and empty my savings account by doin so r just stay saving and stay paying off the 100 euro a month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

i'd keep the cash and increase my montly repayments and clear it off within six months or so, that way you will have the cash waiting for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

There is value in drawing out this repayment depending on your situation.

If you have an established credit history with the CU, then I would say pay it back as suits or over a months or so.

If as I suspect this may be your first loan, paying it back over time shows them that you are reliable, and it may mean they might be more like in future to give you a bigger loan than the initial small one (e.g. usually 1.5-2 times size of your savings, where as more established person might get 3 times their savings).

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Jimmywangyang

Cheers for the reply lads.... It is my first loan yea so ur probably ryt when u say pay it off over a number of months to improve my record... Think ill keep my savings and just increase the repayments.... :)

Advertisement