Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake Notes- What to do

Options
  • 22-03-2011 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

What can you do if you get a fake note? It hasn't really been an issue before but recently there seems to be a few coming in. The part that annoys me is they are so bad looking yet staff are accepting them. If someone comes to me with a €50 that is fake am I allowed take it off the person and call the guards? I've heard they can't really do anything unless the person has more then one note on them.
    Also I have seen the CCTV footage of the people handing it in, if it happens again with the same person then can something be done about it?
    So far we have gotten fake 50s and 10s, these fakes are awful aswell, feel like printer paper and none of the markings are correct, holograms are tin foil for christ sake.
    So far I haven't taken in a fake but wondering what I can do if someone comes to me with one. Believe me I'd spot it straight away if it was the same as the other two we had gotten.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

This is probably more suited to Banking & Insurance & Pensions, feel free to move back if not.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Staff training and contact the Gardai, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

And invest in a note scanner - tell staff if they fail to check notes and fake tender can be attributed to them that it will be deducted from their salary - obviously you would need to have CCTV for this to work and that is just a layman's opinion - it probably is not legal! You could work it in other ways - e.g. might affect promotion or bonus...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

tommy21 wrote: »
    And invest in a note scanner - tell staff if they fail to check notes and fake tender can be attributed to them that it will be deducted from their salary - obviously you would need to have CCTV for this to work and that is just a layman's opinion - it probably is not legal! You could work it in other ways - e.g. might affect promotion or bonus...

If yo are going to deduct the amount from staffs wages,under the 'Payment of Wages Act 1994' you need to amend their contract and get them to sign this before you do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

Frame them and hang them on the wall behind the till with a note saying if staff take obvious fakes like these then it will come out of their wages. That should kill 2 birds with one stone, staff will be more aware and customers will know that your looking for fakes.

I know that you shouldn't deduct money from the staffs wages without it being in their contract but you don't have to tell them that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Legally you are supposed to seize them and hand them into garda station. If its a skanger, I use a big black marker and write fake on it. The face on them when I hand it back! If its a customer I know well, I tell them its fake and advise them to take it back to where they got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

Legally you are supposed to seize them and hand them into garda station. If its a skanger, I use a big black marker and write fake on it. The face on them when I hand it back! If its a customer I know well, I tell them its fake and advise them to take it back to where they got it.

Just to add to what I said earlier about framing them, do the above so its obvious the notes displayed are fakes.

Another point is that it really is possible to pass the worst possible fakes as genuine if you pick your moment. I've said before one of the worst fakes I've ever seen (€5) was made on a inkjet printer and not even cut squarely or the same size as a real note and on std printer paper, the best that could be said about it was the colour was about right. That fake note probably made by school kids was passed in a SuperValue store in a lunch hour when the queue at the till was about 20 deep with kids standing around all over. Try the same scam when there are no queues and staff have time to think and it wouldn't work.

So OP whats the story when your staff accept fake notes are they under pressure or do they always have time to do their job correctly, have they had staff training so they know a fake from a real one? You shouldn't be keeping the fakes at all (probably OK if they are marked so they can't be used again) but if you have them then use them for staff training and make the most of them. If you can from CCTV identify who passed them then pass the note and the info on to the Gards.

I suspect its possible for a place to get a name for accepting fakes so the more the OP gets the more he's likely to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

One sure way to know it's a fake is to rip note and look for metal strip. 100% way of knowing it a fake.

Notes can be treated to show up fine under lamps, pens etc.

I'd agree to display them behind cashiers. If they demand the note back and to avoid hassle hand it back with a black marker line on it. They'll just dump it after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

One sure way to know it's a fake is to rip note and look for metal strip. 100% way of knowing it a fake.

Notes can be treated to show up fine under lamps, pens etc.

I'd agree to display them behind cashiers. If they demand the note back and to avoid hassle hand it back with a black marker line on it. They'll just dump it after that.

The problem the OP is having isn't identifying whether or not they're fake: he's in no doubt they are. It's the cashiers that are the problem, and the cashiers can't exactly go tearing up every note in front of the customer. If the note aroused no suspicion in some other aspect, there'd be no reason they'd want to tear up the note.

ECB's website has a lot of info on the publicly-indentifiable ways to tell.

Also a facility to compare the results of counterfeit-detectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

Someone told me the best way to check for a fake note is to run your nail over the bumpy bits in the note, he said that's the one thing that can't be duplicated.

• Advertisement

Well I guess the op latest post cover me off.

As for the bumpy bits. The can score the reverse side with a needle to give the other side the feel that its bumpy. Like I said if in doubt make a small tear near the metal bar.

If you find it then grand you not giving this torn note back to the customer anyhow. The bank will accept this note in the op lodgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭leduigs

Dunno if you could legally take it off the staff but I would say if you get a machine in, ultra violet light then the staff would then have no excuse, they even have the markers you can use which are very cheap and each cashier can have one on them! Simples!!

Just to add, notes can be treated to negate the uv lamp and pens. More than likely those notes are few and far between but do exist.

Advertisement