Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant/Funding for oustide EU

Options
  • 22-03-2011 2:48pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've had a few searches and contacted some of the relevant departments and have yet to hear anything so I'm asking here. Are there any sort of maintenance grants or similar open to Irish students who wish to study outside of the EU.

I ask because I have the option of studying here next year, the UK or North America. If I stay here or go to the UK I'd be a likely candidate to get a maintenance grant of some sort, though theyre never guaranteed I know. The option in North America is the one I'd most like to do and I'll have the funds to cover fees and most of my living expenses by saving basically 80-90% of my pay til august. If i can get extra work or a short term contract when this is finished Id have most of the money needed to get through the year but not quite enough. Is there any source of funding available to me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Short answer is no, not in terms of maintenance grants etc. However there may be scholarships and assistance you can apply for from both your intended university and more general bodies. What's your field of study?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I don't expect there to be any really but maybe in exceptional cases. ill be doing Library/Information studies. more so the latter as it suits what I've done before having studied history to post-graduate level. The department I applied to considers all applicants for grants and awards and you automatically apply for them on acceptance. I could take the chance and say accept the offer and find out in November that I wasn't awarded any. By then I'll have missed out on the chance here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Well that's some good news! Have you tried for scholarships from any of the philanthropic bodies like Rotary?

You can also work p/t whilst on a student visa in USA - maybe not your idea of a good time but you never know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ill look at places like Rotary and ask other organisations. If I can arrange temporary work when my current job is up then Ill be fine.

The University is in Canada and I wouldnt be allowed work on a student visa unless it's on campus for 6 months at least, and then I could work part time. I was told I could ge a work permit too but then university would reconsider the offer.

Advertisement