Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retrofit Solar Panels

Options
  • 22-03-2011 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm currently doing a dissertation on the incorporation of 'green' energy technologies into an existing sresidential development. I'm looking for the following information in regard to the fitting of solar panels (photovoltaic & solar thermal) onto an existing concrete tiled, timber trussed roof:

a) fixing details for panels to an existing tiled roof
    b) I also need to source calculation methods for the potential power output of the panels, based on the technical spec given by the manufacturer and the annual average solar radiation achievable on the site.

If anyone could help me with this I'd appreciate it.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

For your calculations

http://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvgis/

The fixings: there are as many types as roof racks. Different things, different loads, different fixings.

To impress your teachers:
    Solar panels
    don't exist.

When looking at electricity producing surfaces ( photo voltaic) we talk about photovoltaic energy
    When looking at thermal energy producing surfaces we talk about solar thermal energy.

There are mixed equipments as well producing both, electric and thermal energy, combi modules. Not to be mixed up with combi-PV modules which have the front and back activated.

And there are solar thermal power plants (like in Almeria) which turn thermal energy via a steam turbine into electricity.

Off course the Stirling engines can be run on ST energy as well, producing electricity for example.

Check the www. for the various options.

And don't forget to mention that over 99% of the energy mankind uses is solar energy (smiley).

Advertisement