Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tube session anyone??

Options
  • 22-03-2011 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

There are a few folks here with float tubes or thinking of getting one.
    Would those of you that have one be up for a tube session?
    We could pick a decent venue central to all interested in going.
    And for those who have not got a tube but are thinking of getting one come along and see them in operation or take a spin, see how ya like it.
    Intrest and ideas below.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I'm interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

I bought one three years ago and am yet to even inflate it, would love to give it a try with some company for safety..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

+1, I picked one up last year and never got around to using it, would love to try it out with a few others around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

I have a boat! might get a tube though if i can get a decent one second hand, would you be piking?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

I have very little time but with a bit of notice may be able to make it. Where had you guys in mind? And are we targeting pike? Trout?Both??? lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

shblob wrote: »
    I have a boat! might get a tube though if i can get a decent one second hand, would you be piking?
    There are a couple on Adverts.ie you would get at a good price if thier still there and think thier new too. As for species.. It will depend on the venue.
    rpmcmurphy wrote: »
    I have very little time but with a bit of notice may be able to make it. Where had you guys in mind? And are we targeting pike? Trout?Both??? lol
    We will try and organise it at least a fortnight in advance so everyone can come up with a good enough lie to tell the other halves;)

Add your location to your posts so we can get an idea of what part of the country we will be fishing.

Im based in leitrim.

I'm based in Dublin city centre, willing to travel :)

Dublin is my base.

Saturday evenings, or Sundays would be best for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

I'm thinking of getting either a float-tube/kayak or canoe for fishing whenever budget allows. So I'd definitely be interested in trying one out. Based in Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

i'd be happy to give lifts to a couple of regulars in dublin if we picked a spot in a fifty mile radius of dublin.

i'll be honest, i haven't a clue what i'm doing most of the time but i do have a tube and whats more fishing with coolwings is basically getting very expensive advice for free.

so.

include me in if its on a saturday, especially after Noon or any Sunday.

Sweet, good few interested, I have a couple of non boardsie friends who would go too.
    Dug out the tube and blew it up today, patched a couple of pin prick holes thanks to a wee pike unwilling to co-operate last summer:( so I'm all set to go. Just date and venue left to decide.

ok, let me throw this out.

Bohernabreena reservoir this Sunday, the weather is looking good. Its only a tenner to join the Dodder Anglers and its for the whole year.

coolwings perhaps you could mention what kind of clothing needed to keep out the cold? i'm guessing the neoprene type waders would be much more sensible than the lighter more expensive type?

ok, let me throw this out.

Bohernabreena reservoir this Sunday, the weather is looking good. Its only a tenner to join the Dodder Anglers and its for the whole year.

coolwings perhaps you could mention what kind of clothing needed to keep out the cold? i'm guessing the neoprene type waders would be much more sensible than the lighter more expensive type?

Bohernabreena rules out any pikers.
    Forgot to ask what would the preferred species be??

I haven't seen anyone allowed use a boat on Bohernabreena for god knows how many years. You used to have to be a member of the Corpo to use a boat there back then. Probably zero chance now, but anyone connected there can check.

It's a tricky choice to suit everyone.

The best middle ground I can think of is a big trout lake where there are perch and the odd pike too. Ennell and Owel would do that, but they are really big and might intimidate the newcomers to tubing.

Blessington is central, and a mixed fishery too, it's but so so tough - can we stand the blank rate? The "arms" of Blessington are not as exposed as the main lake, and we could choose one arm to suit the conditions on any given day.

Another possibility is a commercial fishery. Dermot at Rathcon might reserve the water for a half day group booking if asked. Joe out at Lough Aisling would likely also do that if requested. But both of those are trout and fly fishing.

There are some smaller trout lakes that have a few pike. Glore or White Lake maybe. You need Shannon RFB permit for some, and local club for others. Small pike lakes are more distant .. Cavan or the Shannon maybe.

whats the chance of a couple of us just picking a spot for this Sunday? in an ideal world monaghan, offaly, or the shannon region would be the way to go but whats the chance of just grabbing a spot for this sunday and giving it a shot?

edit: i got to work in the morning so i won't be posting till the afternoon so have a think if any of ye want to try the resevoirs around dublin on sunday. if so, i'll have to get a cheap pair of neoprene waders before close tomorrow.

Can't make it this sunday myself, but if you all find a good spot with plenty of fish I'll make sure to get to the next one :)

Lough Gowna could work well, it has small stretches at different angles so whatever way the wind is going there's usually areas without much wave. I don't think the fishing has been great the last few years though (but then again just because I'm not catching doesn't mean a whole lot).

Lough Ree could actually be good too I think. Obviously taking a tube out into the middle of the main lake wouldn't be a good idea, but the 'inner lake' by Killinure/Glasson is usually pretty calm and the arm off to the east (I think the Inny flows into it?) is pretty calm too.

I was thinking Deravarragh?
    It has a good head of trout and pike and the narrow end is quite sheltered.
    I fished lough iron before on the tube and had a savage day but not sure what the trout fishing is like there but it's on the inny so there must be trout there.

Doc, this Sunday would be too short notice for me.
    I was goin to try and organise a date about 2 weeks in advance but by all means if you want to organise something in the mean time go ahead.

to be honest i was chancing my arm somewhat as i have tomorrow off but i'll happily wait for an organised expedition.

i'll look up these places and give you my twopence worth but i'll go to any of them, hopefully, eventually, all of them.

Id be up for cavan or derravaragh etc providing i get some notice. I have a mate with a tube who may also come although he fishes predominantly for trout but am sure he would give the pike on the fly a lash either.

• Advertisement

Ok lads, I'm going to propose a date of Sunday 8th of May at Derravarragh.
    That gives plenty of notice and a decent venue for both trout and pike.
    What say yee?

i'll be driving back from a stag in achill on that day so not really sure. i think i have to give lifts so probably wont be free.

what time do u cast off ? and what time will u wrap up?

I should be available, count me in.

I can give lifts from Dublin too if people need them.

Advertisement