Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance in the UK

Options
  • 22-03-2011 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

I've just moved to the UK. I was on Aviva Business Plan Extra in Ireland.

I called Aviva and they said it isn't valid in the UK after a month so I have given them notice to cancel it at the end of March.

Is the NHS sufficient in the UK or would I need to add private cover to it to match the cover I had in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

It's a personal choice really. The main thing to consider is where you live and if your health authority is likely to be somewhat 'stretched' (i.e. high density cities etc.). I had PMI in all my jobs in the UK but never used it - all my treatment was carried out quickly on the NHS.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

I got a letter from Aviva there confirming cancelation of my policy. It states that if you have a break in cover for more than 13 weeks you may have to serve waiting periods and exclusions the next time you take out a health insurance policy.

What does this mean?

I also called Aviva UK there. They said I have two options. I can either continue with the "same underwriting" and my policy would be £66 a month or I can get "new underwriting" and my policy will be £55 and I will have to sign some disclaimer confirming I don't have any existing conditions. They said if there is nothing wrong with me I'm better off with the second option.

They are also doing a deal whereby you get the first three months free so I'm thinking of signing up.

The girl told me you can cancel at any time with a months notice but I see on their website it says you must hold your policy for a minimum of 12 months. Will need to reconfirm with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

PH4T wrote: »
    I've just moved to the UK. I was on Aviva Business Plan Extra in Ireland.

I called Aviva and they said it isn't valid in the UK after a month so I have given them notice to cancel it at the end of March.

Is the NHS sufficient in the UK or would I need to add private cover to it to match the cover I had in Ireland?

Thats difficult to answer to be honest without knowing your expectations, i used the NHS for 13 years, never had an issue really, had to visit the doctor every few months for a repeat prescription. Waiting time wasnt a problem, even in birmingham, pop 4 million ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Once your cover in Ireland lapses for more than 13 weeks you will have to reserve waiting periods if and when you return. The price is the same in Ireland for a given plan irrespective of age. In UK, the premium is based on age and if you answer some medical question you can get the cover cheaper, hence your examples.

Almost 50% of the Irish population have private health insurance. In the UK it is nearer to 10% as the population has a greater reliance on the NHS.

Cost of cover is dearer in the London area also.

Aviva Ireland may recognise the cover under Aviva UK if you come back though so make sure you ask when you come back especially if there is no break in cover.

Advertisement