Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fishing lough ennell

Options
  • 22-03-2011 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Lads hopefully going down to Ennell during the week for a bit of piking and trout fishing its the first time I have fished the lake and will be doing so from a boat anyone any info on how its fishing not looking for your spots just looking for as much info I can get on a lake I havent fished.
    thanks lads

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

A tough lake is Ennell, maybe the toughest of all. But they do grow big in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

agree ennell is a hard one, but the wild trout there are super trout. if i was you my approach would be fishing it evening and nighttime with dries.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

Ennell...aka for me Lough Pain! God if I could only get the days back I spent there and use them somewhere else. :)

Havent heard anything as yet about ennell on the trout front. Check out the shannon fisheries website for some practical info.If I was going id be bringing the spinning rod aswell. At least get a bit of sport with the pike and perch.

Tight Lines!

Let us know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

sounds hard but it wouldnt be fishing if it wasnt.
    I was thinking of piking it early morning and then spinning it from lunch time on.
    Leave the fly till a bit later in the year.
    Thanks for the reply`s lads keep them coming sounds like im going to need it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Dark coloured tas work well on Ennell for trout, especially black and gold!
    Thats a free tip, any more will cost ya!:D

• Advertisement

thanks eddie heading down in the morning will let you know how i get on searching the box for the taz`s always have a good selection

went down today trolled a good bit of the lake with no success mostly just getting an idea of the lake. Hooked into a nice double figure pike on drifted smelt and the hook popped out just as he surfaced for another dive after about 5 minutes of fighting that was the only sight I got of him or any other fish.
    Suprised at how the shallow the lake is and the water is crystal we went out from hopes point and done that area of the lake.
    There was a big hatch of fly on the lake I think duck fly but no sign of fish just hundreds of tern having a nice feed.
    Worth another go theres a lot of lake to fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

natdog wrote: »
    There was a big hatch of fly on the lake I think duck fly but no sign of fish just hundreds of tern having a nice feed.

probably duckfly, that lough can get huge hatches of them far bigger than anywhere else, i have been out on that lough and been covered in millions of duckfly and not a trout to be seen anywhere, a shame really.

Advertisement