Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing a Student Account to a Current Account

Options
  • 22-03-2011 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

I am with Ulster Bank and they want me to come in and change a student account to a current account. How does this work? Do they change my account number? Will i have to set up all my direct debits again? Also how long does it take? Do they have to issue me a new card?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

If you can hold on to the student account setting, then do (e.g. are you continuing on to a masters or even repeating exams or anything) - they make it sound like they are doing you a favour, but all it really means is a welcome to the big bad world of account fees and interest penalties depending on the bank - so as a student you might have been used to an interest free overdraft, this might not apply with your new current/graduate account. If you are no longer in college though, not much you can do to stop them.

As for your card(s) and direct debits, these will all remain the same. They may send you a new card, but you can use your old one until it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I am with Ulster Bank and they want me to come in and change a student account to a current account. How does this work? Do they change my account number? Will i have to set up all my direct debits again? Also how long does it take? Do they have to issue me a new card?

Thanks in advance!

You keep your account number and cards. Nothing changes but the name on the account.

There are no day to day banking fees on UB current accounts unlike some other banks. If you have an overdraft you will now be charged for using it. Apart from that there is no other change.

Ask about the u1st account. It has interest free overdraft and other benefits that may suit you, however it come with a monthly fee but the savings may out way the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

i have an OD but thank god the balance has never been low enough to go into it. Thanks for the help. i might just shop around and see if i can get a better deal off another bank or are UB the best? Unfortunately i finished college 5 years ago i just persumed the account automatically changed too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056216569

Have a look here or its your money.ie

Advertisement