Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Saturday - when WWF took over WCW TV

Options
  • 22-03-2011 6:39am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, I recently did a rough cut of a new wrestling video podcast I was hoping to get off the ground. Could you take a look at it and give me some feedback? Any Qs, musings etc would be greatly appreciated!! Sorry for the bait and switch but other subject lines really sucked!

Old School Wrestling Review is the working title! My plan is for myself and some friends to review old WWF PPVs Chronologically, starting from WrestleMania 1. I'd also like to tie it into boards.ie somehow...:cool:

Jaykhunter-OSWReviewPilot148.jpg

Watch it here : http://blip.tv/file/4916167
    Download in iPod quality : http://blip.tv/file/get/Jaykhunter-OSWReviewPilot988.MP4
    Download in higher quality : http://blip.tv/file/get/Jaykhunter-OSWReviewPilot234.MP4

Hopefully I don't sound too boring....:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Loved the Back to the Future tingle in the music, and this is something I actually didn't know myself, would be nice to see - just for future reference - if reviewing old wrestling games on formats would be possible for a segment or a show (there has got to be enough of them lol) from the old arcade fighters to No Mercy to the Smackdown series etc

Would love to see a history of wrestling games podcast actually, sorry, don't mean to interject...but yes, great job with this, I like it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

Awesome use of footage and sound clips.

Dave Meltzer did a special radio show about it too about 2 years too:
    http://www.blogtalkradio.com/PSP/2009/07/15/Peach-State-Pandemonium.mp3

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

thanks for replying guys :) did u think it was too long, or too much pre-amble or too much music or not enough.......was the file size ok? Video quality? Anything you'd add or take away?

Reviewing wrestling games would be pretty cool, i'd have no idea how to make it interesting though, you know? Also i've no idea how to capture videogame footage (those mean gene interludes were screengrabs i animated lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I havn't watched it yet Jay, it's second on my 'to watch' list behind last night's Raw, but a heads up that the file size is fine; 250mb is nothing in this day and age really. It will be a nice collection to my 1TB of wrestling media :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I listened to it last night and enjoyed it, especially the first half as I've often been more fascinated with what goes on being the scenes in the world of wrestling rather than what goes on in front of the cameras. Will definitely listen to future episodes, keep up the good work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

jaykhunter wrote: »
    thanks for replying guys :) did u think it was too long, or too much pre-amble or too much music or not enough.......was the file size ok? Video quality? Anything you'd add or take away?

I taught it was fine as far as you talking went, it sounds like you don't have a script and know what you're talking about from memory - which is always the best way to listen to something like this. I might shorten the length of some clips in general, maybe switch from one match to another (during the introduction) without leaving one playing for more then 30 seconds - the more wrestlers and the more clips I see the better to be honest.
    Reviewing wrestling games would be pretty cool, i'd have no idea how to make it interesting though, you know? Also i've no idea how to capture videogame footage (those mean gene interludes were screengrabs i animated lol)

I don't know how IGN do it myself, I assume Windows Movie Maker or something, but to give you a general idea something like this....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Good stuff Jay. I enjoyed it and looking forward to you reviewing old main events. Just one thing tho would you be better doing the voice over with some one else? Think it would make it more interesting if 2 people were discussing a match. Nice touch having a bit of Sunny at the end :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

Small thing I suggest is backing up what you say more. Actually cut away to a clip or image of Ted Turner
    like the FAK :p
    and clipping in the audio of "Adoonis" and Zangief's accent.

Maybe it could be better if you had someone else to bounce off of but I'm not sure how in depth you want to be going into the PPVs. If it's the summary as is in the pilot then you're fine by yourself. If you want a discussion at the end then audio commentate the matches?

Part of me wants to say just rip off Mystery Science Theater 3000. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Hey guys, I recently did a rough cut of a new wrestling video podcast I was hoping to get off the ground. Could you take a look at it and give me some feedback? Any Qs, musings etc would be greatly appreciated!! Sorry for the bait and switch but other subject lines really sucked!

Old School Wrestling Review is the working title! My plan is for myself and some friends to review old WWF PPVs Chronologically, starting from WrestleMania 1. I'd also like to tie it into boards.ie somehow...:cool:

Jaykhunter-OSWReviewPilot148.jpg

Watch it here : http://blip.tv/file/4916167
    Download in iPod quality : http://blip.tv/file/get/Jaykhunter-OSWReviewPilot988.MP4
    Download in higher quality : http://blip.tv/file/get/Jaykhunter-OSWReviewPilot234.MP4

Hopefully I don't sound too boring....:p

Firstly after viewing that the other day I must say I'm a fan. I'll also admit I didn't know about this and therefore found it more interesting. I do wonder though wether you would have to approach more well known shows in a different fashion though to make them as appealing.

If you intend on doing all your shows like this one I don't think you do actually need a 2nd person to bounce the discussion off. Your style is that of an informative fact giver, someone who will describe what happened, why it happened and why it's significant. That is more a 1 person style, however as already suggested a more opinion based discussion at the end with someone else could be interesting and a good way to review / summarise your ppv review.

As far as doing it in conjunction with boards I'm sure we could think of something but how about maybe seing if thebostoncrab would be interested in incorporating this different style podcast into his site as although his isn't officially affiliated with boards it is made by boardsies. Plus as a 1 man project which incorporates videos and pics I could imagine yours taking a while to create so maybe it could be used to fill in or something everyweek there isn't a new podcast on tbc

Goog work man

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

Ya finding/syncing clips is the hardest to do but it's probably the most well-received. Ideally I'd be doing it with two mates 'in-studio' as well (doing it by my lonesome in general is far too sad!) and this video is pretty much me pitching the idea of a podcast to them. lol, the match-commentary I gave was more thoughts that popped into my head while watching and a general overview of how the match went. I'd probably try keep the podcast to 30-45 minutes to keep the energy up and the conversation snappy. Do you think reviews/vodcasts should be kept shorter? or longer?

I imagine that it's only obscure PPVs that would have that long a pre-amble to the review, I had to set up what wrestling was like as opposed to just going in cold...definitely the "why you should care" background would be necessary at the start but not a few PPVs down the line.

If you have any (constructive) criticisms please post them as I'm looking to tighten up the editing so fresh eyes are needed!

The production time is pretty long and it's definitely a case of 'do it well or not at all' with me so episodes would probably be a few weeks apart.

I realise that the show I reviewed is extremely old and boring but hopefully the vodcast didn't put you to sleep!! :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement