Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Ericsson Xperia Play

Options
  • 22-03-2011 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Now, I know there's a load of threads about this, but I've looked through them and haven't found an answer properly.

Does anyone know the release date for Ireland and what carriers it will b on?

I'm hoping it will be the end of March like the rest of the world, and that hopefully it will be at least o2 and Vodafone.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭GWNiall

no body?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I should be getting a look at (if not a feel of) the play later today, ill relay feedback this evening

That's no fair :(

How you managed that? Cheers bro!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Is the Play meant to be good? Would be nice to have game controls...

I see it's out in the UK next Monday link

PH4T wrote: »
    Is the Play meant to be good? Would be nice to have game controls...

I see it's out in the UK next Monday link

Hmmm...http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/aspx/ComingSoon.aspx

wonder what networks!! It's meant to be deadly, 2nd gen snapdragon processor and the adreno 205 gpu!! i'm deffo getting one

• Advertisement

GWNiall wrote: »
    That's no fair :(

How you managed that? Cheers bro!

there was a SE launch event on in town (dublin) this evening. they did the marketing thing for their 3 new handsets.

out of the 3, i'd be most interested in the neo; nice size, good spec, impressive camera. . .we'll see how it performs in the real world before i give it full endorsement

as for the play, i'd love to relay stories of an in-depth demonstration but alas, i cannot. I held it for mere seconds and had a quick flick. It's bigger in the hand than I expected when closed (i'd say that's more my fault that sony's). Fifa looks like the most impressive launch game imo. The mooted game pricing is very interesting and could very well lead to this handset being a success. . .

theteal wrote: »
    there was a SE launch event on in town (dublin) this evening. they did the marketing thing for their 3 new handsets.

out of the 3, i'd be most interested in the neo; nice size, good spec, impressive camera. . .we'll see how it performs in the real world before i give it full endorsement

as for the play, i'd love to relay stories of an in-depth demonstration but alas, i cannot. I held it for mere seconds and had a quick flick. It's bigger in the hand than I expected when closed (i'd say that's more my fault that sony's). Fifa looks like the most impressive launch game imo. The mooted game pricing is very interesting and could very well lead to this handset being a success. . .

so you're saying that it seems promosing? did they announce a release date and pricing plans? networks?

Devestated I missed out on it, wish I had of known about it! Was it invite only?

EDIT: Did it have vanilla android or did it have SE's timescape overlay?

so you're saying that it seems promosing? did they announce a release date and pricing plans? networks?

Devestated I missed out on it, wish I had of known about it! Was it invite only?

EDIT: Did it have vanilla android or did it have SE's timescape overlay?

It looks promising enough but I just question the actual demand for it. Personally, it wouldn't be my bag and I've seen similar feelings expressed by many boardsies in this forum. Kids will love it but will kids be able to get daddy to sign a 12/18 month contract to get one?

Release date is mid/end April, Neo is April 1st iirc. No mention of pricing but we can probably make an accurate enough guess on that one. No mention of which networks either but the significant majority of invitees in the room were from meteor if that's anything to go by. . .that could be because we're peasants who can't turn down a free drink!

Like all SE's ive seen, it runs timescape which in fairness, has improved greatly since it was first launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

theteal wrote: »
    The mooted game pricing is very interesting and could very well lead to this handset being a success. . .

What is the mooted game pricing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Seen it on play.com for over €600. Not a hope of me paying that for it. I'd say its a grand yoke though

• Advertisement

PH4T wrote: »
    What is the mooted game pricing?

€3 - €7

Fair enough. End of April? Bit annoying but oh well...

Any idea if it will be on o2 or vodafone?

Also, how much you think it will go for on an 18 month contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Exclusive to CPW for the first 3 weeks of April on all operators and available direct from all operators after that.
    Smartphone Amnesty for Xperia PLAY Launch
    PRESS RELEASE

Sony Ericsson and Carphone Warehouse Announce One Day Smartphone Amnesty for Xperia™ PLAY Launch

Trade your Smartphone for the first Xperia™ PLAY handset in Ireland at half price
    XperiaTM PLAY combines a PlayStation quality gaming experience with the very latest Android smartphone technology
    Super fast graphics and dedicated game controls deliver the ultimate smartphone gaming experience from 31st March 2011

24th March, 2011, Dublin, Ireland – Sony Ericsson and The Carphone Warehouse have today announced a Smartphone amnesty for Thursday 31st March 2011. To celebrate the availability of Sony Ericsson’s Xperia™ PLAY handset in Ireland, consumers are being given the opportunity to trade in their old Smartphones for a new Sony Ericsson Xperia™ PLAY for less than half price.

The amnesty will take place from 9.30pm at The Carphone Warehouse on Grafton Street on 31st of March. This will be an opportunity for customers to have first access to Sony Ericsson’s Xperia™ PLAY Smartphones at this special offer price.

Sony Ericsson’s Xperia™ PLAY smartphone can be purchased exclusively at Carphone Warehouse for the first three weeks of April and will be available to consumers on all operators including, eMobile, Meteor, O2 Vodafone and 3. Xperia™ PLAY will be available to purchase directly from all operators from late April 2011.

Russell Keating, marketing manager at Sony Ericsson Ireland commented: “This is a not to be missed opportunity for consumers to purchase the first of our Xperia™ PLAY handsets to arrive in Ireland. Not only are they getting access to the handset first, but they are being given an opportunity to swap their old mobile phone for the latest in smartphone technology at half price,” he added.

Stephen Mackerel, Chief Executive Officer, The Carphone Warehouse commented:
    “The Carphone Warehouse is extremely excited to have a three week exclusive on the new Xperia™ PLAY. This marks a significant opportunity for us to tap into the gaming market and deliver a product, highly anticipated by hardcore, regular and casual gamers. The other good news for consumers is that tomorrow we kick off our Play for Xperia™ PLAY competition in stores nationwide, where customers can win a Sony gaming solution worth €5,000,” he concluded.
    XperiaTM PLAY delivers the smartphone functionality that the most serious power users could need, teamed with the immersive gaming experience that any gamer would want. In portrait mode, the Android smartphone offers all the benefits that consumers have come to expect from Sony Ericsson’s existing range of XperiaTM smartphones with best-in-class entertainment experiences, a great 5 megapixel camera, a brilliant 4” multi-touch screen and great social networking features.

However, slide out the gaming control and users enter a new world of immersive mobile gaming. The slide out game pad reveals a digital D pad, two analogue touch pads, two shoulder buttons and the four PlayStation icons: circle, cross, square and triangle. Qualcomm’s optimised Snapdragon processor with a 1Ghz CPU and embedded Adreno GPU graphics processor deliver silky smooth 60fps play-back 3D mobile gaming and Web browsing with minimal power consumption so XperiaTM PLAY users can enjoy long hours of battery life and game time.

XperiaTM PLAY will run on Gingerbread (version 2.3), the latest version of Google’s AndroidTM platform. The XperiaTM PLAY will also be the first PlayStation Certified device. This means it will have access to PlayStation® game content provided through the PlayStation® Suite initiative, currently under development by Sony Computer Entertainment and due to launch later this calendar year.

Sony Ericsson has partnered with key publishers in the gaming industry to deliver a rich, vibrant ecosystem at launch and post launch with many leading new titles available via the AndroidTM Marketplace. Leading franchises coming to Xperia™ PLAY includes EA’s Need For Speed, Sims 3 and a world-first multiplayer version of FIFA 10 for mobile. GLU Mobile/Activision will be bringing Guitar Hero while Gameloft’s titles include Assassin’s Creed and Splinter Cell. Sony Ericsson is also partnering with Unity Technologies, using its award-winning development platform, to ensure a continuous flow of high quality 3D game titles.

A pre-loaded application will enable users to easily discover and download titles that have been optimised for game play on Xperia™ PLAY, access recently played games and see information about the games they have downloaded.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/content/Smartphone-Amnesty-for-Xperia-PLAY-Launch/715

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

According to Silicon Republic, this is the list of phones you can trade in:

Nokia N97
    Nokia N97 Mini
    Nokia N95 (8GB)
    Nokia 5800
    Nokia 5530
    Nokia E51
    Nokia E52
    Nokia 6300
    Nokia 6700
    Nokia 6700 slide
    Nokia 5230
    Nokia 6303
    Nokia 6303i
    Sony Ericsson X10 Mini Pro
    Sony Ericsson W595
    Samsung Tocco
    Samsung Tocco Lite
    Samsung Galaxy S
    BlackBerry 8520
    HTC Wildfire
    HTC Desire
    iPhone 3G (8GB and 16GB)
    iPhone 3GS (16GB and 32GB)

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/21073-carphone-warehouse-offers-x

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Hmmm.. It says from 9.30pm does anyone know how long the offer will last will it be the full 3 weeks? Cause if it is i'm definitely trading my wildfire in for one of these.

ok, kinda retarded question, but gonna ask it anyways.

Last January, I signed up to an 18 month contract with o2. The terms changed and I cancelled my contract (as it wasn't what I had agreed to - however I am still on billpay). I have an iPhone 3GS. Can I trade in my iPhone for the Xperia Play and still be on the same bill plan with o2?>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    According to Silicon Republic, this is the list of phones you can trade in:

Nokia N97
    Nokia N97 Mini
    Nokia N95 (8GB)
    Nokia 5800
    Nokia 5530
    Nokia E51
    Nokia E52
    Nokia 6300
    Nokia 6700
    Nokia 6700 slide
    Nokia 5230
    Nokia 6303
    Nokia 6303i
    Sony Ericsson X10 Mini Pro
    Sony Ericsson W595
    Samsung Tocco
    Samsung Tocco Lite
    Samsung Galaxy S
    BlackBerry 8520
    HTC Wildfire
    HTC Desire
    iPhone 3G (8GB and 16GB)
    iPhone 3GS (16GB and 32GB)

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/21073-carphone-warehouse-offers-x

What? No Xperia X10 on that list? Cheeky bastards!

Anyway I'd say that the Play will be a flash in the pan that will be a distant memory this time next year, oh and for anyone who is thinking of getting one, enjoy all of the bugs and glitches plus Sony Ericsson's non-existent support.

Raekwon wrote: »
    What? No Xperia X10 on that list? Cheeky bastards!

Anyway I'd say that the Play will be a flash in the pan that will be a distant memory this time next year, oh and for anyone who is thinking of getting one, enjoy all of the bugs and glitches plus Sony Ericsson's non-existent support.

little thing called XDA mate...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

little thing called XDA mate...

Good luck breaking the bootloader ;)

Btw Sony Ericsson has just announced that 2.1 will not be the last update for the Xperia X10 and that 2.3 will be available in mid/late summer so all is forgiven :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Good find, best hold off for a few weeks until the phone is well tested and we can see what it's like in the real world. Sounds like anyone getting on at launch will be in for some trouble with it.

Good find, best hold off for a few weeks until the phone is well tested and we can see what it's like in the real world. Sounds like anyone getting on at launch will be in for some trouble with it.

ye, that's true.
    Raekwon wrote:
    Good luck breaking the bootloader

Well, GeoHot says he's gonna JB it, and knowing his past, I've got confidence!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kali005

Well, they announced, the bootloader is gonna be unlocked anyway :)

kali005 wrote: »
    Well, they announced, the bootloader is gonna be unlocked anyway :)

is that definate? I read that it's only going to be unlocked in some places, and on Xperia Plays that aren't carrier locked?

Anyways, it's been out fora few days, anyone got any reviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I had a good play with one at the weekend, much much nicer than I expected, incredible screen, nice design and not as bulky as I expected, its still a big phone though.

Was only a quick go but I was impressed by what I saw and it has me thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I was thinking of getting one of these (well, after launch. I'll give it a while to see what people think).

Currently on Vodafone bill pay with 7 months left on my contract, so can't get an upgrade. I was just wondering if anyone knows if you can trade in more than one phone at a time to Carphone Warehouse. I have an iPhone 3GS and Nokia N97 which would get €280.

Then, it's €100 cheaper for the O2 one. Could you just buy that and get it unlocked?

Other than that, just hope it lives up to the hype. I'm considering the Xperia Arc as well. I like the iPhone but would rather something different for a while. And iPhone5 apparently won't be out til late 2011 at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Can't seem to find the answer anywhere but does the Play support existing PSOne games that are on PSN or do users have to essentially rebuy games they have bought already.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

has anybody got it yet? whats their review, im curious to find out what people on here think of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

has anybody got it yet? whats their review, im curious to find out what people on here think of it

I bought one yesterday,€529 in CPW :eek:

I'll give a little review.I have had the iPhone the last 3 years but im getting fed up of it so i liked the look of this phone and i bought it.Now its my first time using an Android phone so im still only getting used to it and i have to say im liking it.

The phone itself isnt as bulky as i thought,it fits grand in my pocket,but i dont like the part at the back where you take off to put in the sim,it just seems real cheap and i can see it breaking eventually.The PS controls are great a lot better than the on screen controls like most touch screens.It comes with 6 games (Bruce Lee,FIFA 10,Star Battalion,Sims 3,Asphalt 6,Crash Bandicoot),i havent spend to much time playing them yet,but Asphalt is great little game.I got a 8GB micro sd card but it takes up 32GB.

I dont know what else to say,im crap at giving reviews :),if you want to know anything just ask.

Advertisement