Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Variable vs Fixed? Advise pleaseee

Options
  • 21-03-2011 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

I am looking for 180k for mortgage for a self build to repay over 30 years.
    I have dropped into a couple of banks but from my findings below I think Permanent TSB may be the best one.
    I have been approved for BOI/ICS, waiting on the other two to come back to me.

1) BOI/ICS
    3.4% 1 year fixed
    3.7% 2 year fixed
    I have been offered this rate, I have been informed that I will go on variable mortgage after which will range from 3.30% – 3.65% (today's rate)

2) I dropped into TSB last week, am waiting to hear back from them but they gave me the following rates:
    Permanent TSB 2 year fixed <50% -- LTV 3.10% (RATE) 5.2% (APR)
    Permanent TSB 5 year fixed <50% -- LTV 3.70% (RATE) 4.8% (APR)
    LTV: (loan to value) is the amount you are borrowing relative to the value of the property
    I would be eligible for either (If i got approved) of the above as my property would be valued at double €180 when built.

3) I only called into EBS today. EBS only offer variable at the moment as the fixed have been completely pulled. They gave me the following figures:
    -Variable (Rate) 3.09% (APR) 3.16% over 25 year term
    -Variable (Rate) 3.29% (APR)3.37% over 25 year term
    LTV: (loan to value) is the amount you are borrowing relative to the value of the property. I will hopefully hear back from EBS next week.

Would I be mad to take a variable rate mortgage these days? EBS are offering a great one at 3.09% i know this will increase but could it go much higher? I looked at variable rates of the banks above and all seem to vary, i assumed they would be more/less the same.
    In your opinion which of the above banks is offering the best deals?
    Also a fixed period (e.g. 5 years) do you have to go onto variable mortgage or do some offer you another fixed?
    God... I hate mortgage hunting, should i approach other banks now or are they all more/less the same

Advertisement