Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan anti establishment ?

Options
  • 21-03-2011 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

I often heard the words anti establishment used to discribe the late Gerry Ryan, But i dont know in what way Was he anti establishment? I listened to him for about ten years and he was always pro bertie and FF and pro all the FF/PD goverment policy, He was pro bush and american policy, He was pro EU, he was pro the property bubble. Is it that irish radio listeners dont know what anti establishment means?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He wasn't anti-establishment he just liked to annoy his station bosses. I think thats what any such reference might be too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Because all sorts of subjects which might be considered taboo were covered on his program, the label could be applied. That, and his brash larger than life persona I suppose. If you look at who else was on the radio in the late 80s when he started doing his show, it was tame stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Firetrap wrote: »
    Because all sorts of subjects which might be considered taboo were covered on his program, the label could be applied. That, and his brash larger than life persona I suppose. If you look at who else was on the radio in the late 80s when he started doing his show, it was tame stuff.

He was no more anti-establishment than my maiden aunt.

He had some talent to be sure, but anti-establishment wasn't one of them:p,in fact you could hardly find a more pro-establishment dude in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Funny this should come up, his "war with RTE" is in a paper today.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ryan was the court jester of Official Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Gerry Ryan anti establishment ?

About as anti-establishment as he was anti-drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭bullpost

In a small country like Ireland you've got the genuinely anti-establishment people , like Joe Higgins, who regardless of what you think of them, practice what they preach.

Then you've got the faux anti-establishment crowd, including the likes of Dunphy , who have done spectacularly well and understand fully the value of controversy,but who always become the voice of reason as soon as there is genuine social unrest in the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Tapes

Ryan was considered anti Establishment because he said words like Bras and knickers on the radio back in 88, Its a shame the guy died young but his show was 15 years past its sell by date.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

Gerry's great talent was his ability to seem anti establishment while being an integral part of the establishment.Gerry grew up in privilege,spent summers in Haughey's mansion yet he managed to come across as as our average Joe six pack.That's a real talent.I miss Gerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

todolist wrote: »
    Gerry's great talent was his ability to seem anti establishment while being an integral part of the establishment.Gerry grew up in privilege,spent summers in Haughey's mansion yet he managed to come across as as our average Joe six pack.That's a real talent.I miss Gerry.

and there is a LOT more of those kind around.

never came across as your average Joe Sixpack to me, well adept at 'working the system'

What's this 'privelege' stuff that people keep throwing out?

came from a normal background if I am correct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ken Ridge

It is 25 years ago this week that G ryan started hosting the 9-12 morning show on 2fm replacing Jimmy Grealy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

mikom wrote: »

Well done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

mikom wrote: »

+1

Advertisement