Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement magsafe

Options
  • 21-03-2011 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Has anybody had apple replace a magsafe charger out of warranty? On mine, the adapter's white insulation separates from the magnetic end of the MagSafe connector.

I found this on the Apple website http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1713

Is it likely that Apple will replace it free of charge? The laptop is 3 years old or thereabouts.

Where should I bring it to get it replaced? I'm living in Dublin city centre.

Thanks, Barry.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Bring it in somewhere and see what they say. You've nothing to lose.

The following are Authorised Apple Service Providers in Dublin:
    EVAD IT SOLUTIONS LIMITED
    UNIT H & I, USHERS ISLAND
    DUBLIN 8
    Tel. +353 16336791
    Apple Authorised Service Providers

COMPU B
    111 GRAFTON STREET,
    D.2. - DUBLIN
    Tel. 00353 1 5079103
    Apple Premium Reseller

TYPETEC LTD
    UNIT G6 CALMOUNT BUSINESS PARK
    12 - DUBLIN
    Tel. 353 1 5009000
    Apple Solution Experts - Education

MACTIVATE LTD.
    NORTHWEST BUSINESS PARK
    UNIT 13, NORTHWEST CENTRE
    15 - BLANCHARDSTOWN, DUBLIN
    Tel. 353 1 8224488

COMPU B
    MALAHIDE ROAD
    PAVILION SHOPPING CENTRE
    SWORDS
    Tel. 01 5250631
    Apple Premium Reseller

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

If you don't get any joy from the Authorized centres and end up buying a new one, don't throw this out. I think you tend to get better results from fully fledged Apple stores for out of warranty defects - unfortunately there's none in the Republic, but if you can bring it to an Apple store at some point in the future, you may get it replaced. There is one in Belfast if you're ever up that way.

- barry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shawnday

Your best bet would be to try the Apple Store in Belfast. Even within warranty, wear on the collar around the magsafe end of the cord, or on the articulated collar from the mains lead on one of mines was dismissed as overuse in Dublin. The €85 or thereabouts cost seems to preclude finding someone in a good mood and willing to swap it.

hi,
    just over a year ago i had to get a replacement mag charger.
    i got it from ebay - here
    They were the cheapest i could find and the chargers still working perfect.
    seems to be genuine stuff too.

Advertisement