Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time MacBook owner or not??

Options
  • 21-03-2011 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Won a MacBook pro and i am just wondering whether to keep it or sell it. I've wanted an Ipad for a while so i was thinking maybe sell the MacBook and buy the Ipad 2. I have a Sony Vaio laptop which i only ever use for surfing the net and storing photos etc.
    Would a MacBook pro be wasted on me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭gartcork

wilfitz wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Won a MacBook pro and i am just wondering whether to keep it or sell it. I've wanted an Ipad for a while so i was thinking maybe sell the MacBook and buy the Ipad 2. I have a Sony Vaio laptop which i only ever use for surfing the net and storing photos etc.
    Would a MacBook pro be wasted on me?

I wouldn't say it would be wasted on you because it's a super machine. Try it out for a few days to see how much you like it, but if you only want to browse and look at pictures then the iPad 2 would be ideal.

If you still want to sell it, place it on adverts.ie and you'll have no problem selling it and also get some cash into the bargain!

Have a look at apple.ie to see what the current price is for your model, then price it to sell and you'll have it sold in no time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is the Vaio newish?

If so, keep the Macbook, sell the Vaio and get an iPad. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭wilfitz

Is the Vaio newish?

If so, keep the Macbook, sell the Vaio and get an iPad. :D

Got it in 2007 so its prob worth very little. Could sell the MacBook, buy an Ipad and upgrade my 3gs to an Iphone 4.
    I'd prob b better off selling the MacBook unused to get more for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Unless you very badly want an iPad, I'd still say hold onto the Macbook. I mean, the Vaio is getting on years. You may need to replace it before long.

Also, the iPhone 5 is right around the corner so now is probably not the best time to get an iPhone 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

If your only using it for email and web then I'd say the MacBook would be overkill. The iPad would be better suited to that task anyway (except for Flash sites)

• Advertisement

I just think that the ipad would suit my needs more. Smaller, lighter and more portable for on the go and i'd still have my vaoi at home. Vaoi prob is on its last legs but for what i use it for, i could replace it for €300.
    The reason i would upgrade to the Iphone 4 is because i am on prepay so dont want to have to go into another contract with the iphone 5 and i could buy an iphone 4 from adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

out of interest, would you mind telling us where you won the MBP? I don't see many competitions with them as prizes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

I'm guessing you won it off Ian Dempsey!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I just think that the ipad would suit my needs more. Smaller, lighter and more portable for on the go and i'd still have my vaoi at home. Vaoi prob is on its last legs but for what i use it for, i could replace it for €300.
    The reason i would upgrade to the Iphone 4 is because i am on prepay so dont want to have to go into another contract with the iphone 5 and i could buy an iphone 4 from adverts.

If it's a 13" Macbook Pro, the size difference between it and an iPad won't be a hell of a lot; if anything even a 15" or a 17" will be more handy, powerful and comfortable than most makes of Vaio. If you still need a DVD drive or burner then you probably will end up wanting a new computer anyhow so you will still end up splashing out sooner or later.

I don't know the in's and outs with data ad ons for pre paid (I'd guess they are pricey) but I'd personally plum for a new smart phone on a bill over an potentially overpriced second hand or unlocked handset, regardless of it being an iPhone, LG, HTC etc

I'm guessing you won it off Ian Dempsey!

Yeah i won it off Ian Dempsey. Think maybe i will just keep it and pick up an ipad soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

You should keep the macbook i think worth a good lot more than an ipad and will be good if the vaio does die eventually altough since its a sony laptop i doubt that it will happen anytime soon:P

However if you think the ipad would suit you better then id go for that.
    note tough there is no flash support for the ipad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Yeah i won it off Ian Dempsey. Think maybe i will just keep it and pick up an ipad soon.

If your selling it think of me. I'm sure I could splash out €450 for it ;):D

Advertisement