Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bowhunting

Options
  • 21-03-2011 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hi all,new to this forum and just wondering if the possibility of legalising bow hunting has ever been investigated here. I may be in the wrong forum but i just thought i'd put it out there...what do ye think? Surely there must be some archers that would love to see it legalised...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

As much fun as it would be to go hunting with a bow, I have to say that I agree with the reason for it being illegal. When hunting with a bow you are much less likely to kill the animal in one shot than you are with a rifle. The animal is likely to feel a significant amount of pain when it dies instead of just instant death. I think its just a bit too cruel.

Just for the record I'm not an anti-blood sport nut, I have no problem with people hunting as long as their not stupid about it.

People are currently crying out for all forms of hunting to be made illegal. Stag hunting was made illegal last year (i think that law might be getting revoked soon). They are currently trying to make hunting with dogs illegal. A good portion of the most vocal members of society are against blood sports so I think you would have a job and a half convincing them to lift the ban on bow hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

I can see your point,however small game can be hunted very humanely with a decent broadhead or snuffer type point.I do believe it could be a very effective method of vermin control,ie: rabbits,foxes,mink and also ideal for larger gamebirds like pheasant. I wouldn't like to see legalised for large game such as deer because unless you are inch perfect with you shot it could cause the animal to suffer. Personally,I would love to try bowfishing! You hit the nail on the head though,I think it would be nigh on impossible to get the ban lifted,even for vermin and small game. Pity though...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I don't want bow hunting to be made legal but just to address a few points.....
    When hunting with a bow you are much less likely to kill the animal in one shot than you are with a rifle.

I'd say you are unlikely to get more than one shot at an animal. I believe recovery rates are better for bowhunters in The States than for gun hunters.

The animal is likely to feel a significant amount of pain when it dies instead of just instant death. I think its just a bit too cruel.

Bullets kill by trauma/shock; broadheads by ex-sanguination. I've read reports of animals continuing to graze after a pass-through from an arrow till they drop a little while later.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Sorry, should have seen this thread earlier.

As stated in the forum charter, bowhunting is illegal in Ireland. Thread closed (but not deleted) as per forum rules.

P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement