Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kylie

Options
  • 21-03-2011 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Does anyone know who is supporting Kylie tomorrow night and what time she is due on stage........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Iirc Ultra girls about 8 then good dj

Think she was on about nine

Review here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71307696&postcount=8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Was at the second gig last night. Didn't see the X tour so can't comment but saw her in 2005 on the Showgirl Tour when it was at the Point.

Cheesy girl band Ultra Girls came on at 8, then a DJ until almost 9.20 - unless there was some hitch backstage this was a big mistake on the promoters part as the crowd's attention started to drift once the 9p.m. mark was passed.

So when Kylie came on she had a somewhat uphill battle to get the crowd back on side. First couple of numbers were slow both in tempo and choreography. Show got going midway with "Spinning Around".

Different in style and tone to her previous tours but enjoyable nonetheless - lots of visual references to 60s and 70s sci-fi such as Barbarella and Logan's Run but integrated into a kitschy Greco set.

It strikes me as the kind of show that's headed for Las Vegas and plans on sitting there for a couple of years.

As an aside - after four visits I have to say that I really hate the O2. The seating might be more comfortable and sightlines better than the old Point, but there is no atmosphere in the venue whatsoever, as with its big brother in London. There's a complete detachment between the performer and the audience that the old Point never had. I've seen Tina Turner, the Prodigy, Deadmau5 and now Kylie all in the new venue and despite great performances from the artists as an audience member I just never felt involved.

Never buy in Block G by the way - markedly restricted view despite the assertions of the owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Coming out past 9.20pm on a weekday night was a bit late. The concert could easily have started at 8 or 8.30 if need be. I think there was an issue backstage as the understanding was that she'd come on at 9pm. The last 20 mins with the DJ really dragged on.

Regarding the show itself I have to say I was a tad disappointed. Personally I thought her Showgirls tour was better and that was even in the old Point (l love the new O2 venue!).

The ending to the show was absolutely spectacular but that really only made up for a so-so first hour or so in my opinion. Also, I thought the sound last night was absolutely dreadful. You couldn't hear half of what she was singing. That's a huge f*ck up in my opinion as the O2 was designed with acoustics in mind and this was a huge show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

compsys wrote: »
    Coming out past 9.20pm on a weekday night was a bit late. The concert could easily have started at 8 or 8.30 if need be. I think there was an issue backstage as the understanding was that she'd come on at 9pm. The last 20 mins with the DJ really dragged on.

Regarding the show itself I have to say I was a tad disappointed. Personally I thought her Showgirls tour was better and that was even in the old Point (l love the new O2 venue!).

The ending to the show was absolutely spectacular but that really only made up for a so-so first hour or so in my opinion. Also, I thought the sound last night was absolutely dreadful. You couldn't hear half of what she was singing. That's a huge f*ck up in my opinion as the O2 was designed with acoustics in mind and this was a huge show.

Yes the sound was very poor, particularly when she (poorly) attempted some stand up and craic with the crowd at the end. Couldn't hear a word she was saying.

I think if they'd started on time the vibe would be have better in the first hour. People started to get irritated and lose interest towards the end of the DJ set. I agree that something must have happened backstage because the DJ set had a few cue points around 8.55p.m. that indicated to me that she was on her way. I was surprised then when she didn't show.

I saw Madonna in Cardiff two years ago and she didn't come until 9.30p.m. People were really cheesed off and the show was sh**e.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Onion11

yeah, the late start was a killer, and the Ultra Girls were just dreadful in fairness. I was ready to leave by the time she came out and it took me ages to thaw out and get in to it at all. While I admired the stage design it did separate the audience too much from the action, and with them split on 2 sides it just made it harder to get a vibe going. I have to say the encore was spectacular.

• Advertisement
Advertisement