Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

never been on a horse... to late to start?

Options
  • 21-03-2011 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

HI all,
    im just looking for advice from anyone who can offer it. Basically, im 36 and ive never had the opportunity to ride a horse. Its something that i have always wanted to do as a hobby/past time and im just wondering have i left it to late? if I havent what advice can anyone give me on a route to take to becoming a proficient rider? im based in west dublin but would gladly travel to surrounding counties if needs be for lessons etc. Anyway, as I say im just looking at advice on where to start or whether i should just forget about it and also if i do take it up what period of time is it possible to be confident/comfortable enough to ride a horse without supervision or as part of a designated class.
    Thanks in advance for any forthcoming advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

It isn't not at all too late to start :) It may take a little longer as you aren't as flexible as the younger people (Sorry! No offence intended!) and it may take a bit longer to get used to trotting and getting up and down off a horse.

My advice would be to take a lesson once a week in your nearest approved riding school. They should advice you further depending on how quickly you learn and how confident you are. Just remember to stay relaxed on and around horses :)

I would give it about a year and a half before riding without an instructor (at the least) if you feel you have to, but keep someone with you to keep an eye on you and a lesson every so often wouldn't hurt. It's whenever you are comfortable to go on your own. However, most people don't stop regular lessons until about 3 years riding, even longer for some. I know people who are riding well over 10 years and still go for lessons. You can never stop learning in horse riding, and you will always pick up little habits that a lesson or two later on will help.

For now, however, just concentrate on getting on a horse, and worry about when stop lessons after you learn to ride :) You're never too old to start, it just takes slightly longer to learn that's all :) Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

Its never too late. It might be a good idea to start by booking a half hour private lesson and go from there. Group lessons would be good later on.

As for being proficient, I'm not sure thats a word I'd use to describe myself and I've been riding 20 years :D There is always more to learn, which is the beauty of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ADDON

Too late my foot!!!

I took up riding at the young age of 43 and love it.... It's never too late. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 rstax

It's never too late - my mum started at 45(I forced her on a horse-she used to be petrified)... and 10years later she's got instructor qualifications and works pretty much full time at a riding stables! :) ..
    Moral of the story - you will get hooked ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Cybersue

Yay! I don't feel so bad now. 42 years very young and want to get back in the saddle after 25 odd years. Live in Laois and trying to find local stables to volunteer. Too fat to ride but just want to learn tack and grooming all over again until weight comes off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

thaks a million for all the replies. Just a few questions... can you be to heavy to ride? im 14 stone and 5.9ft will this be a problem. and secondly 'flexibility'? im not the most flexible with awfull posture, does this also have to be addressed?
    thanks again guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭granturismo

.. can you be to heavy to ride? ... im not the most flexible with awfull posture, does this also have to be addressed?

Most riding schools have horses of varying size, ability and reliability to take account of riders' size and experience. I started at age 32 and 12 stone so you should find a horse to match, at any decent school.

Flexibility - I think my posture improved with riding lessons because you are gradually taught to sit in the saddle - shoulders back, chest out will be a familiar instruction after a while.

Yes, I think a person can be too heavy or unfit to ride. Dont let the first 48 hours after your lessons put you off. Your thighs will ache and then when you learn to trot you're going to get bounced in the saddle, give it a go, keep at it for a few weeks at least and see if you enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

thaks a million for all the replies. Just a few questions... can you be to heavy to ride? im 14 stone and 5.9ft will this be a problem. and secondly 'flexibility'? im not the most flexible with awfull posture, does this also have to be addressed?
    thanks again guys

one thing horse riding will fix for you is bad posture!!!
    also, its never too late to get in the saddle, horse riding can be done at so many different levels - take your time in learning and enjoy it. if your based in west dublin, there are a good few places that might suit you for lessons in that area; if you want to pm me (can never remember if im allowed to post the names of places in these things!!) i can give you the names of a few places that are great for beginners.
    love to see people deciding to take up riding, as i said it really never is too late and its such a wonderful wonderful skill to have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

thanks again guys

Never too late to give it a go!

Generally a RS will have a good variety of animals, smaller places may concentrate more on ponies.

Pilates is excellant for flexibility and core strength. There may be some stretching tutuorials on youtube?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Yes pilates is great but please don't go out a buy a dvd or try to do it from an internet tutorial to start with as you can actually damage yourself if you do something wrong, if you'd like to try it go to a few classes first so an accredited instructor can check if you unnderstand how to do the positions correctly, if so by all means try it on your own at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

First time I ever rode a horse was in Annaharvey Farm in Tullamore, horses were so safe and Sam was very helpful. Another friend went down (complete novice also) and did their first canter on the gallops.

http://www.annaharveyfarm.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭coolcat63

My OH hadn't touched a horse in his 56 years until last July when I bet him he wouldn't do it; now he loves it and can't wait for us to get a second horse so we can go out together!

(Oh, and I only started riding again at the same time after a 7 year break and now have my own horse and I'm 47! :D ).

Go for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

another mature rider here - bought my first pony at age 40 having not ridden since the age of 12 (the odd lesson here & there)

It will help your posture, and is good for weight loss...shed half a stone since getting mine (4 miles of long-reining a day in winter...good for fitness)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

It's never too late to start. I've been riding for 20 years and I still get lessons!!!

Advertisement