Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dromroe Village...gone to the dogs!

Options
  • 21-03-2011 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

This is my 4th year living in Dromroe and I hate it! Can't wait to get out of here! :mad:

My room wasn't clean when I moved in, our fridge didn't work, the kitchen walls were filthy, our kitchen sink kept getting blocked and worst of all they have decided to limit the hot water! I don't think its fair that they can just decide to do this and people living here year after year paying a considerable amount of money can't have a shower during the afternoon! Also, there isn't even enough hot water in the mornings for 6 of us to have showers, we are all aware of the problem and none of us have long showers to try and prevent depriving someone else of a hot shower! If I had known this I wouldn't have lived here this year.

Also, it is way too strict! It's student accommodation and it is the most anti-fun place! I'm in 4th year, I've done loads of exams obviously and an FYP, I know people have work to do too but I think small gatherings that aren't out of control should be allowed at the very least! If things are out of control or noise is excessive then fair enough. This new idea of an event request form is ridiculous!

Also not being allowed guests during rag week isn't fair! For the amount of money we pay...this place is a joke! I think people should be allowed have a set number of guests during rag week, maybe one per person but it should be emphasised that if any trouble is caused certain disciplinary proceedings will be issued against the resident. That way everyone is aware that their guest is their responsibility.

The carpets could do with being replaced too, they're absolutely worn out and mine has a massive black stain on it to match the stains on the wall!

What do they actually do with all the money we give them? If I was here for another year I think I'd get a house, pay less rent and control my own hot water!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Begs the question, why not live off campus then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

besides the limiting water everything you listed you would have realised after a few months in first year, yet you continue to go back year after year :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭flutered

and you are in collage, it has taken you four years to figure this out, dunno how long its gonna take you to figure out your finals

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

This is my 4th year living in Dromroe and I hate it! Can't wait to get out of here! :mad:

My room wasn't clean when I moved in, our fridge didn't work, the kitchen walls were filthy, our kitchen sink kept getting blocked and worst of all they have decided to limit the hot water! I don't think its fair that they can just decide to do this and people living here year after year paying a considerable amount of money can't have a shower during the afternoon! Also, there isn't even enough hot water in the mornings for 6 of us to have showers, we are all aware of the problem and none of us have long showers to try and prevent depriving someone else of a hot shower! If I had known this I wouldn't have lived here this year.

Also, it is way too strict! It's student accommodation and it is the most anti-fun place! I'm in 4th year, I've done loads of exams obviously and an FYP, I know people have work to do too but I think small gatherings that aren't out of control should be allowed at the very least! If things are out of control or noise is excessive then fair enough. This new idea of an event request form is ridiculous!

Also not being allowed guests during rag week isn't fair! For the amount of money we pay...this place is a joke! I think people should be allowed have a set number of guests during rag week, maybe one per person but it should be emphasised that if any trouble is caused certain disciplinary proceedings will be issued against the resident. That way everyone is aware that their guest is their responsibility.

The carpets could do with being replaced too, they're absolutely worn out and mine has a massive black stain on it to match the stains on the wall!

What do they actually do with all the money we give them? If I was here for another year I think I'd get a house, pay less rent and control my own hot water!

I'm sure they learnt the hard way down through the years, that is why they have these rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 irish_girl!

flutered wrote: »
    and you are in collage, it has taken you four years to figure this out, dunno how long its gonna take you to figure out your finals

Yes, I'm so stupid don't know how I even got here in the first place!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 irish_girl!

I obviously knew Dromroe wasn't party central but small gatherings aren't even allowed now.

We never had as many maintenance before and I was just trying to make the point that at this stage money needs to be put into the accommodation because general wear and tear is taking its toll.

I'm finishing here in May (if I can hopefully figure out my finals!!) I was just trying to let other people know that maybe somewhere like Cappa (depending on how many parties people want to have) or off campus are better options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I obviously knew Dromroe wasn't party central but small gatherings aren't even allowed now.

We never had as many maintenance before and I was just trying to make the point that at this stage money needs to be put into the accommodation because general wear and tear is taking its toll.

I'm finishing here in May (if I can hopefully figure out my finals!!) I was just trying to let other people know that maybe somewhere like Cappa (depending on how many parties people want to have) or off campus are better options.

Rant about UL thread is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I've been back from Erasmus since Jan and already been to a couple of gatherings there, no security. My friend's apartment is spotless.

Maybe letting your village manager know of your concerns instead of posting on an anonymous bulletin board would be a better course of action....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

flutered wrote: »

It's actually spelled college.. don't be so easy to judge someone by a post, if people did that to yours, I'm sure they would be asking how you got into 'collage'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

I can understand living in Dromroe/on campus for first year as it forces you and others to make friends, but 4 years? Are you mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭flutered

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    It's actually spelled college.. don't be so easy to judge someone by a post, if people did that to yours, I'm sure they would be asking how you got into 'collage'.
    i have never been to collage as a student, i have spent many years dealing with collage kids, collage life is nothing new or strange to me, also i do have a medical reason as to why my spelling has not and will not always be correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 sinaydk

Brookfield Hall works out much much (I'm talking hundreds of euros!) cheaper a year than Dromroe, is much brighter and cleaner, and has extra services like the bus service to the supermarket once a week, free internet and the security there is extremely nice and very laid back regarding get-togethers. Dromroe was fine in first year for me, but I've been in Brookfield ever since and its worth the money!

If you have complaints you should voice them at reception, after all you are paying for staff there and thus you deserve to have any problems fixed! That's what the staff are for! Also I find being extremely nice and thankful for their help (even if you don't mean it :P) works a treat :)

Also, I always check out the apartment Im assigned to every semester, youre entitled to that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

sinaydk wrote: »
    Brookfield Hall works out much much (I'm talking hundreds of euros!) cheaper a year than Dromroe, is much brighter and cleaner, and has extra services like the bus service to the supermarket once a week, free internet and the security there is extremely nice and very laid back regarding get-togethers. Dromroe was fine in first year for me, but I've been in Brookfield ever since and its worth the money!

If you have complaints you should voice them at reception, after all you are paying for staff there and thus you deserve to have any problems fixed! That's what the staff are for! Also I find being extremely nice and thankful for their help (even if you don't mean it :P) works a treat :)

Also, I always check out the apartment Im assigned to every semester, youre entitled to that too!

Brookfield USED to be nice. I lived there for 2 1/2 years. The original manager was great. Any problems were sorted, parties were allowed within reason and he was good fun and made time for everyone. When he left (think due to illness) the place went to crap. The next few managers had no control, security were rubbish and no upgrades were made including internet which is beyond slow! I know someone living there now and he is just doing so because it is cheap.

Last year got offered €200 to return, that is not a good sign!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

ulinbac wrote: »
    Brookfield USED to be nice. I lived there for 2 1/2 years. The original manager was great. Any problems were sorted, parties were allowed within reason and he was good fun and made time for everyone. When he left (think due to illness) the place went to crap. The next few managers had no control, security were rubbish and no upgrades were made including internet which is beyond slow! I know someone living there now and he is just doing so because it is cheap.

brookfield is either in nama or in the process of being put into nama, the owners have no money thats why, for example, there is maybe 1 working washing machine in the laundrette

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sinaydk

If you view the apartment youre assigned to you can ensure you get a good clean place...My apartment this year is lovely! I always view my accomodation before moving in and if Im not happy they are more than happy to oblige me so that I have the standards I want, as a customer Im entitled to that :) A tenant can't legally be 'suprised' by the accomodation they rent if they havent viewed it first...

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭billo.d86

From what I remember of Dromroe from calling over there, it was alot nicer that some of the other places, "Classey Plassey" for instance with its upstairs donwstairs issues. The hot water restrictment, must be a new thing, because they used to have no restriction on the heating in that place and it was going non stop must have cost a fortune, so thats probably the reason.
    As regards people not allowed to stay for Rag Week that is the same for every on campus village in most colleges same in Corrib in Galway and Cratloe in L.I.T its written in the lease, but of course theres always ways around it.
    I have to say off campus was the only place that I lived, might not have been as comfortable, but thats the price for not being babysitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Amymoo

Dr Magoo,

Where do you get all your info from eh? This year i had a problem with my mattress (some annoying springs loose) in plassey, said it to manager and had a new one in 2 days....so i doubt they spent a full budget on loads of new mattresses when mine was just replaced last semester....weird!:confused:

Also, i said before I'm in one of those done up new houses and half of the village got done up last year...which is something like 30 or more houses, so looks like there are no cut backs there, to me it it appears dat they are spending money! me and a few friends are thinking of coming back here in september and when i asked the manager if we could get a house with double glazed windows, she said they would all be double glazed by september and that all the refurbishment would be compelte too....so obviously no cut backs there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Amymoo

oh forgot to say in response to the damages over christmas (cant speak for thomond)...I remember our maintenance fella calling round to increase heating times AND open up the attic to help circulate air, i really dont think it was case that someone ignored any advice, just one of those tings that happend to a few houses....i left for christmas on the 22nd and i got talking to rebecca, herself and her assistant were running around checking the place was fully locked up for xmas, and when she was coming into my house, i personally saw them increase heating times....

• Registered Users Posts: 32 NFL

I am sick and tired of College Court and cant wait for fourth year to spend my hard earned cash on a bed in Dromroe.
    The heating in my house has not worked for the past month so I have to wear 2 jumpers to bed. There is a draft coming through my window so I had to move my bed and the only place I could put my bed was up against my wardrobe as my room is too small to put it anywhere else. As I am on the topic of my bed, it is a small single bed which is extremely uncomfortable, the misaligned springs have started to give me a back ache.
    The sound insulation in my house is non existent also as I can hear my house mate playing with her friends at all hours. Also my the person under me can even hear me type on this keyboard.

So I would take a worn carpet and a blocked sink next year, and count my blessings that I can finally afford to move into this standard of accommodation that I have taken so long to save for.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 auldpooky

wC0fZ.jpg

yeah it's pretty **** this year

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭kflynn

sinaydk wrote: »
    If you view the apartment youre assigned to you can ensure you get a good clean place...My apartment this year is lovely! I always view my accomodation before moving in and if Im not happy they are more than happy to oblige me so that I have the standards I want, as a customer Im entitled to that :) A tenant can't legally be 'suprised' by the accomodation they rent if they havent viewed it first...

yes they can if it is really bad, multiple condom packets for example *shudder*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭M442

I live in Dromroe too. It is expensive, but you know that before you move in. I haven't noticed a lack of hot water at any stage, I haven't heard anyone complain about it either!!!! The best thing about Dromroe is its location:D From my experience small get togethers are ok with the managment as long as they don't get out of hand!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ciaran0

I'm living in Brookfield hall now for the last year and it's been absolutely excellent! We've never had any problems with the management and Frank(the security man) is sound out! I had a lovely year here. The apartments are really lovely, everyone's get their own en suite and the whole job.

If ever we had a problem, the people down at reception would be quick to sort it out. Only thing is that it's a bother to walk when the bus isn't running. Didn't really phase me though.

I'd definitely recommend the place

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Fifi Trixie Belle

PeakOutput wrote: »
    brookfield is either in nama or in the process of being put into nama, the owners have no money thats why, for example, there is maybe 1 working washing machine in the laundrette

I'd like to know what you're basing this on.

Brookfield apartments are owned by a number of different investors, the day-to-day running of the complex is done by a management company, so are you implying the management company is gone/going into NAMA or that all the investors are?

Advertisement