Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

26" Wheels

• 21-03-2011 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Looking for a new rear wheel for my commuter. Its a 7 speed shimano mtb. The bearing in the rear wheel seem to have given up the ghost. So I am looking for a new wheel. Any recommendations on decent value wheels ?
    Is it the same as buying a road wheel where you have shimano and camga ? or is there just shimano mtb wheels ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Same here, 7 speed Shimano, one of our lovely potholes ended the lives of the 2 wheels on my trusty old MTB last month
    Rothar cycles in Cork quoted €50 for 2 but not sure of quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

probably not very good :D my mtb wheels are worth around 500 and they arnt even that great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Looking for a new rear wheel for my commuter. Its a 7 speed shimano mtb. The bearing in the rear wheel seem to have given up the ghost. So I am looking for a new wheel. Any recommendations on decent value wheels ?
    Is it the same as buying a road wheel where you have shimano and camga ? or is there just shimano mtb wheels ?

Either you have an older bike (cos it's 7 speed) or it's just a cheapo commuter rig.
    First, can your LBS do anything about the bearing issue?
    A new replacement wheel will be Shimano compatible, but not necessarily Shimano branded -no matter it's only 7 speed stuff.
    There is no point spending more than roughly €50 quid on a new wheel, as it's not really worthwhile spending any more on a 7 speed bike! So the best value wheel for you would be the cheapest your LBS stocks in a 7 speed compatible.
    Try and reuse your existing cassette, if they say that it needs to be replaced due to old age, get your chain replaced as well.
    Don't mind other lads coming on boasting about €500 wheels - pics or GTFO:D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 theotherone

Its an old MTB, not a cheapo rig. I am debating trying to fix it or to forget about it and getting myself a fixe. I prefer using online stores than my LBS as I have found service terrible in the past. Is 7 speed compatible something you would need to see advertised on the wheel description or would most wheels be o.k. just ad a spacer ? The Fixe idea appeals to me but I have 4 bikes already, It hard to let go of the old bikes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Its an old MTB, not a cheapo rig. I am debating trying to fix it or to forget about it and getting myself a fixe. I prefer using online stores than my LBS as I have found service terrible in the past. Is 7 speed compatible something you would need to see advertised on the wheel description or would most wheels be o.k. just ad a spacer ? The Fixe idea appeals to me but I have 4 bikes already, It hard to let go of the old bikes :)

I hear you re old bikes, I have a Diamond back Apex project that I will be running as 7speed when it's done.
    You might get something from Rothar, otherwise don't knock your LBS, it will save all that messing around on internet forums and online shops.
    AFAIK seven speed cassettes are not compatible with modern 8/9/10 hubs, but I could be very wrong about this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 FatBoyKriss

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

gman2k wrote: »
    Either you have an older bike (cos it's 7 speed) or it's just a cheapo commuter rig.
    First, can your LBS do anything about the bearing issue?
    A new replacement wheel will be Shimano compatible, but not necessarily Shimano branded -no matter it's only 7 speed stuff.
    There is no point spending more than roughly €50 quid on a new wheel, as it's not really worthwhile spending any more on a 7 speed bike! So the best value wheel for you would be the cheapest your LBS stocks in a 7 speed compatible.
    Try and reuse your existing cassette, if they say that it needs to be replaced due to old age, get your chain replaced as well.
    Don't mind other lads coming on boasting about €500 wheels - pics or GTFO:D

i would throw pics up unfortunately my bike is in my lbs getting all prettied up (not repaired ;)) for the summer..... has been for the last 3 weeks :mad:

On my first bike (Falcon Warrier :pac:) the bearings were really simple to change. Is that not an option here?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 theotherone

The real issue was the hub on the back wheel seized up. I took apart what I could of the wheel and tried to grease everything up. The bearings seemed to be loose so from sheldon site it appears to be a cup and cone system
    http://sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html

When I put everything back the wheel was not turning correctly/freely, so I was thinking maybe its just easier to buy a new wheel than faffing around with lose bearing. It may be though
    "If the cones are screwed on too far, they exert pressure on the bearing balls. This causes excessive friction; the wheel will not turn as freely as it should" that this maybe the issue. So maybe more faffing with the wheel could be on the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I paid 20EUR to Rothar.ie in Phibsboro for a 26" MTB (front) wheel just before xmas. Worth checking them out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement