Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

HGV/long distance driving

Options
  • 21-03-2011 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Was chattin with a couple of friends in work the other day. One was saying that it was illegel from a health and safety point of view for a driver to manually unload and reload a trailer at point.
    I've been driving for years and now with the dreaded CPC, driving is becoming more.... well?!?!?!
    So i'm headin off this evening with a load. The trailer will be ready/strapped off etc when i get in. From there i diesel up etc and head off to Ballinasloe where i'm expected with help to offload/reload 75 trolleys, then return home/parkup.
    Now, according to my friend CPC health and safety rules you are not allowed to do manual labour (WOOHOO!!) as we are classed as long distance drivers not so called universal workers as our employer has classed us.
    Can anyone shed any light on this.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Your mates are winding you up there is nothing under the H&S act of 2005 or under any SI wether they be Irish or EU that states that a driver is not allowed to off load at their destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bren11

I dont see a problem, especially if driver has manual handling training. Driver will be waiting a long time for some one else to unload especially if doing multidrop. Some drivers when delivering at night, have to load / unload as there are no other staff present. 30 pallets can be loaded very quickly with powered pallet truck.

The only drivers that I know that dont off load/load them selves are ones who go to large distribution centers either with containers or normal curtainside/box trailers,Anyway it's up to the driver to make sure the load is secure the samw goes for lads off loading tankers they must be there to monitor the off loading/loading at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

You work for Brennans, yeah?

who me?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

who me?:eek:

Nah, the OP!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

He is responsible for unloading himself and any Aldi/Lidl RDC the OP goes to he will have to unload himself.

His mates are confusing this with the EU driving time directive. Unloading is not classed as driving time but it is classed as other work.

OP dont drive a bread truck as they only carry 33 trollies..;)

Jaysus I just looked back at the op post he/she was off to Balinasloe thats hardly long distance jesus I used to go over the glenties in Donegal to get to Dungloe then on into Killybegs before heading home.

Both the EU working time directive and EU drivers hours work in conjunction with each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Jaysus I just looked back at the op post he/she was off to Balinasloe thats hardly long distance jesus I used to go over the glenties in Donegal to get to Dungloe then on into Killybegs before heading home.

Maybe the OP is coming from Castletownbere or Bushmills..;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement