Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hp pre 3

Options
  • 21-03-2011 3:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

What do you think of the Pre 3? Is it enough to revive webOS and compete with the likes of the iPhone 4 (and upcoming 5) and the army of Android superphones?

The QWERTY slider with the all-too-familiar form factor has a 3.6-inch 800 x 480 display (a marked improvement over past Pres), 5 megapixel camera with AF and LED flash, 720p HD video, a front-facing camera for video calling, mobile hotspot, and webOS 2.2. Under the hood? A Qualcomm MSM 8x55 CPU running at 1.4GHz (!), 802.11a/b/g/n 5GHz, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, A-GPS, a 1230 mAh battery, HSPA+ and EVDO Rev A -- yep, it's a world phone -- and the same RAM as the Pre 2 (that's 512MB DRAM). It'll be Touchstone compatible, naturally, and will switch to Exhibition mode when docked to show pictures and upcoming appointments. There's some interesting synergy going on where the TouchPad tablet can take Pre 3's phone calls, and just touching the two devices together will let you share URLs (aptly titled touch-to-share).

HP_Pre_3_webOS_Smartphone_with_QWERTY.jpg

HP-Pre3-vs-iPhone-vs-Nexus-S-chart1.png

hp-palm-pre-3-vs-palm-pre-2-chart-comparison-technobuffalo.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I actually like it quite alot. I always liked the pebble shape of Pre phones. Just havent seen alot of them around. Web OS looks really nice and polished up.

Reason though why i wouldnt go for it is that the screen is way too small for me. Moving back from 4.3" to 4" was painful enough :) going back another .4" would be terrifying :D wouldnt be able to press anything or type :D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭masker

i think the screen is quite big enough now, even a bit bigger den iphone, hope it feels good in de hands

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Would love this phone if it was Android

Would love this phone if it was Android

i think webOS is far more superior than Android ,the only thing it was missing was de hardware, its not perfect yet but quite good enough to compete de others

It will be behind iOS, Android, WP7 and BB in getting the most popular apps though, for example Facebook, Skype or Viber

• Advertisement

yes there is no doubt webos is lacking behind in terms of apps, hope it will pic up soon

Unless some system is developed where apps can be written for all platforms it is difficult to see where new OS's can enter the market

Just look at how long Windows has dominated PCs for

Tbh it wouldnt be that bad. The new WebOS was quite praised in reviews by how polished it is. If people like it developers will follow to who has a popular demand.

iPhone has dominated the app world for a long time but devs are now looking for multi platform releases. Alot of iPhone apps are on Android and alot are on WP7.

3D engines are being developed for multiple platforms now. Im sure gameloft has bought licencing for iPhone Android and WP7 game engine. Panorama Apps already have a template so its just a matter of filling in the blanks

Quite a good example at WP7. Alot of people look negatively at it. But it has proved to be a profitable platform and devs find it easy to make their apps.

So if piracy is kept to minimum, customer support is decent and right dev tools are provided it can attrack attention :)

The problem is that the hardware is last gen. qHD displays and dual core processors are coming out and it opens new doors to devs to open up the next generation gaming and media viewing on the phones.

Good example is the atrix and its laptop dock. Use your phone as a phone and with dock as a netbook.

Great example is the iPad with its dual core processor and how smoothly high ress console like game can run on it. I just think it might be a tad to late hardware wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I would buy it, absolutely.

I have the original Pre and it is in fact a very good phone, if underspeced. WebOS is super functional, keyboard is great and the form factor is very handy, not too large to handle; the curve is very phone like when open. Making calls is very comfortable, so is text handling. Synergy contact management is brilliant and Facebook app works great. Notifications are fantastic, exemplary in fact and the whole UI looks simple but polished. I don't need the phone for the entertainment (have my Kindle and laptop for this), just to make calls, text and have reasonable online access on the go. Occasional pic or two, YouTube and Facebook integration, and it's pretty much it. Basic apps are very well taken care of and the rest for me is just battery drain :)

With Pre 3 specs it fits in beautifully between super high end slabs that feel more like mini tablets than actual phones for making actual calls, and the plasticky tween/teen rubbish. With my upgrade coming I just started a thread in the Android forum, looking for a not too big phone with solid specs, but the choice is sparse... I might actually stay with the Pre and just reduce my contract. I don't see the need to buy a bells and whistles phone if the battery is drained within a day when you actually use it :(

Sure its not that hard to charge it when you go to bed :)

My data is always on. Regular trips to the browser apps and music. My N97 which was quite a dumb phone didnt last as long as my Omnia 7 does.

Sure if you barely use it. It can last for a week. But sure whats the point of a smartphone if you cant enjoy what it can do. Why should i start up my laptop to do tasks that my phone can :) Comfort and Convenience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

Id greatly respect someone who purchases one. this will most likely be an 02 exclusive. It all depends on that keyboard for me, the pre 1 and 2 were just a bit fiddly for me. I very much like the veer but the headphone jack annoyances would wear thin.

Ive an android phone and the infrastucture that its built up really is an advantage now, I know I will follow the developers as some of the apps I use would never be available on webOS or iOS etc.

quick question. Do these require new phones Pre 3 and veer require the back cover for charging via touchstone that came as accesories with the first pre or can they just be left down on it?

the webOS designer is with android now but its still a fantastic os

you mean wirelss charging?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Sure its not that hard to charge it when you go to bed :)

That can be done :) But it's not fun if the phone dies on you midday just because you used the GPS a bit, as has happened to my OH when he really needed access to his contacts. It's all cool when you're stationary and can charge it all you want but try to move and it becomes obvious that all those beasts are not equipped to adequately power all the fantastic functions they have been given... Which kind of challenges the point of them being mobile in the first place. But it's the specs that sell the phone not the battery!
    Sure if you barely use it. It can last for a week. But sure whats the point of a smartphone if you cant enjoy what it can do. Why should i start up my laptop to do tasks that my phone can :) Comfort and Convenience

It's just personal preference - for me, to fully enjoy multimedia I need a screen the size of which would render it useless as a functioning phone. And a comfortable phone's screen is too small to fully enjoy multimedia :) Note that I am female with small hands so it makes a difference but even without it - 4.3 size in glass is not really best suited for a device you want to use to make calls in the street :)

mhge wrote: »
    That can be done :) But it's not fun if the phone dies on you midday just because you used the GPS a bit, as has happened to my OH when he really needed access to his contacts. It's all cool when you're stationary and can charge it all you want but try to move and it becomes obvious that all those beasts are not equipped to adequately power all the fantastic functions they have been given... Which kind of challenges the point of them being mobile in the first place. But it's the specs that sell the phone not the battery!

It's just personal preference - for me, to fully enjoy multimedia I need a screen the size of which would render it useless as a functioning phone. And a comfortable phone's screen is too small to fully enjoy multimedia :) Note that I am female with small hands so it makes a difference but even without it - 4.3 size in glass is not really best suited for a device you want to use to make calls in the street :)

Idk my gf was pretty happy with a 4.3" screen when i gave her my old phone to see did she like it for the weekend. Didnt have to stare into the phone to see something. Typing and web browsing experience is hugely improved cause the keyboard isnt cramped up anymore. Ive got a 4" screen now and i really do miss the extra .3" :D

Tbh 4.3" screen sounds like its huge. but if you put say likes of iPhone or similiar phones together their not that bigger in size and fits right into your mits :) as where on a smaller one it sinks into it :)

One of the reasons i never even considered the iPhone cause the screen was just too small. Would make typing impossible without a stylus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

One of the biggest factors that hurt the original Pre was how slow Palm were bringing it to market. It had huge buzz when it first debuted but by the time it finally went on sale it had been forgotten in the wake of competitors products being released.

Now we see HP taking it time Launching the 3 into an even more competitive market space with a spec that's looking worse by the month. I don't understand the strategy and haven't much hope for the phones success.

Advertisement