Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polecat!!!

Options
  • 21-03-2011 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I recently spotted a polecat crossing a country road in Cork. They are not a native species, but trust me this was a polecat, not a mink, ferret, otter or weasel. This was 100% wild polecat. It even stopped looked at me and then was gone into the ditch. So there are polecats in ireland(at least one anyway).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

There are Polecat-Ferrets which would have a similar degree of colouring to a greater or lesser extent!

t0eVS.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Philipcn

The animal I saw was bigger than a regular ferret. Most closely like second from the right in color.... But this animal was wild... It crossed from railway tracks to a road and into a ditch. Trust me thus was a wild polecat... Not a ferret!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Could it possibly have been a Pine Marten?

I have never seen a pine martin in the wild, but have on TV & books. They are dark brown with a longer muzzle. This animal was greyish with a rounder muzzle and whiteband on the face. I immediately looked up polecat pics only phone and this is the same (exact same) animal. It was a polecat!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Philipcn wrote: »
    I have never seen a pine martin in the wild, but have on TV & books. They are dark brown with a longer muzzle. This animal was greyish with a rounder muzzle and whiteband on the face. I immediately looked up polecat pics only phone and this is the same (exact same) animal. It was a polecat!!!!

Even an expert would find it difficult to distingwish between a polecat and a ferret with polecat colouration!

Now you do know that their are populations of wild ferrets in this country (originating from escapee's and then going on to breed in the wild).
    There is no doubt that this is a ferret that has escaped and become wild over time, or actually a ferret that has been bred in the wild!

One things for sure, what you saw was no polecat!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Did you measure it's postorbital constriction as it ran past? ;)
    From Wiki;
    The ferret's skull has a smaller cranial volume than the polecat's, and has a narrower postorbital constriction
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Polecat

A ferret is a domesticated polecat, and a polecat ferret is a feral ferret.

That sounds like a plausible explanation.., if there are indeed wild ferrets in Ireland, then that's what I must have seen. By the way if a ferret is a domesticated polecat and the animal I saw was a wild ferret that makes it a polecat??...lol....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

if a ferret is a domesticated polecat and the animal I saw was a wild ferret that makes it a polecat??...lol....

Pretty much... except for the slightly narrower post orbital constriction.
    Feral animals tend to revert to a form very similar to the wild ancestor after several generations, surprisingly quickly.

recedite wrote: »
    Pretty much... except for the slightly narrower post orbital constriction.
    Feral animals tend to revert to a form very similar to the wild ancestor after several generations, surprisingly quickly.

So it's agreed there are feral ferrets aka polecats living in Ireland. I will update wikipedia so.... There's at least one polecat living in Cork!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Eddie B

So it's agreed there are feral ferrets aka polecats living in Ireland. I will update wikipedia so.... There's at least one polecat living in Cork!!!!

If what you saw was white would you still see it as a polecat or a ferret?
    Even im confused now!!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Ferrets come in a range of colours. Albinos are popular cause they are easily spotted when they appear out of a rabbit hole along the ditch, especially in the evening! Colours include sandy's and 'polecats'. It's a colour, still a ferret, not a Polecat. When ferrets are lost it's usually the 'polecats' that survive, the albinos fall victim to dogs, foxes etc. very quickly. So feral ferrets tend to be 'polecat' coloured but not Polecats! Dave

Eddie B wrote: »
    If what you saw was white would you still see it as a polecat or a ferret?
    Even im confused now!!:confused:

No your grand, I accept it must be a feral ferret. If it were whilte that would simply make the distinction easier!!!... Cheers

Ferrets come in a range of colours. Albinos are popular cause they are easily spotted when they appear out of a rabbit hole along the ditch, especially in the evening! Colours include sandy's and 'polecats'. It's a colour, still a ferret, not a Polecat. When ferrets are lost it's usually the 'polecats' that survive, the albinos fall victim to dogs, foxes etc. very quickly. So feral ferrets tend to be 'polecat' coloured but not Polecats! Dave

Tell me do they breed in the wild or are the numbers too dispersed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gandalfini22

@ Philipcn sorry for late reply to this thread. did a survey of feral ferrets s few yrs back and would love to hear from you about your record. My email address is ferretsurvey@gmail.com

Advertisement