Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance & maternity entitlements

Options
  • 21-03-2011 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi, Im just wondering which health insurance package or company is currently the best to go with when taking into consideration pregnancy/birth? Really appreciate all advice & info, as it's not an area I know a whole lot about...Thank You ;)

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm currently with Aviva on Business Plan Select and I think their maternity benefits are pretty good. There's a few handy extras on my policy like a home help for a few days after the baby is born (I'll be stockpiling the ironing ;)), discounts on scans and other bits and pieces. Here's a list of their benefits.

The one thing to bear in mind if you're planning to get pregnant and if you're going to take out health insurance, most of the maternity benefits have a 52 week waiting period (I think this applies with most insurers) so you'd have to have the policy for a year before you can claim. I'm not sure if that means you'd have to have the policy for a year before getting pregnant, or if it's a year before the baby is born, so if you're getting a quote, make sure and ask them this so you can be 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Something to be aware of is that no health insurance plan will fully cover the costs of going privately for maternity.

Most plans will fully cover the costs of up to 3 nights private or semi private accommodation in the public hospitals. If you're admitted to the Mount Carmel Hospital in Dublin (the only private hospital currently offering maternity services), you will have a shortfall to pay youself. This varies depending on your plan and the type of room you use while in the hospital.

You will also have a shortfall for the consultant's private fees. He/she usually makes a charge for the overall programme of care (anything from €2000 upward), and the insurer will pay him/her directly for the delivery charge (usually around €400 or thereabouts). You're liable for the balance, but you may be able to claim some back on the out-patient part of your plan.

If you're a PAYE worker, you can get a 20% tax refund on any hospital or doctor charges you pay yourself.

As Toots mentions there is a 1 year waiting period on maternity treatment, which means any hospital treatment related to maternity isn't covered for the first year. Out-patient visits in the first year are recognised and if the baby is born after the year is served, then you are eligible for the maternity benefits of your plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭EmerBaggott

Thank you both so much for making it all so much clearer for me. I have researched Aviva along with another few but none actually state exactly how long you must be prior to being able to claim any maternity benefits, & if the stated time is prior to conception or birth. Im going to look into this further, Il be back to input all information I learn, which option seems best etc...Do you mind me asking how much are you paying with the plan your currently on with Aviva? :o

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm paying €116 per month, but there's myself and my husband on the policy. It'd be about €68 per month for one person I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Aviva have info on waiting periods, claiming, and maternity benefits on their website here - http://www.avivahealth.ie/member-info/claims/.

The waiting periods apply to treatment received, so as long as the treatment is received after the waiting period is served, then it's covered up to your plan limits.

In the case of maternity, treatment generally means the birth of the baby (or babies!), but it applies to any maternity related treatment. So, for example, if the baby is due after the year is served, but you're admitted early for a maternity related issue (e.g. high blood pressure), then that's not covered if that treatment is within the first year of membership.

Just to put it out there as well, public maternity care is completely free for residents of Ireland. There's no charge from the doctor or the hospital. I don't want to this into into a public vs private healthcare discussion, but just mentioning it in case you think you'll have to pay for healthcare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

There is an additional 42 week waiting period for the cleaner, the breastfeeding consultant and partner benefit with Aviva for those who have served their initial 1 year waiting period that are planning to change.

Advertisement