Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US work visa companionship

Options
  • 20-03-2011 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi Guys,

Ever since coming back from my J1 and graduating college I've wanted nothing more to go back to the US. I had made arrangements to live with a friend I met on my J1 but because of complications she has with college this won't be able to happen. All of my friends are hoping to go to Oz but America appeals to me much more. To cut a long story short I'm afraid to make take the leap and move to America alone. I know I would eventually be settled and make friends but I would really want a travel companion.

Are there any safe websites/places to meet people in the same position?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Nokia08

what part are you going to?, I'm hoping to head to San Fran at the end of the week? I'm not moving over permanently just till the end of the summer.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 loulabellek

I want to go to the east coast...maybe DC in October for a year!

thanks for your reply :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 starlight53

im in the same boat Have no travel plans decided but would love to go to america but not on my own cuz i dont think it would be as much fun san fran and the west coast is where id love to go

It's SUCH a scary decision to make. My parents think I'm crazy but everyone else says follow your heart!

hmmmm I wish there was somewhere you could meet people who wanna go...I feel like a scardy cat not biting the bullet!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 starlight53

if you wanna go there to live go for it!
    if you get a job sorted thats half the battle cuz you will meet people where you work and they can help you get set up.
    think about it people move for jobs every day of the week!!
    its just an extended holiday i want to go on and i dont think that would be fun to go alone plus if there are more people its less expensive!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭luvs2spooge

Hey guys... well Im in the very same boat! (well not literally ha)

But i really want to go ver to the US for a long extended holiday. Thing is all my friends seem intent on going to oz or are already gone but my mind is set on the US.
    Was over there a few years back and all i want to do is go back to the West coast, love it over there.
    Ive a friend in new york and could go over to him but i really want to go to san fran and LA and those places.

Have ye decided whats the best way to go about such a move or done much research on it? I keep trying but its hard work and i get kind of frustrated at not being pointed in the right direction. Gettin lots of advice but nothing definitive.
    Hope to hear back from you guys soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ryangi

t's SUCH a scary decision to make. My parents think I'm crazy but everyone else says follow your heart!

hmmmm I wish there was somewhere you could meet people who wanna go...I feel like a scardy cat not biting the bullet!!!

I'm the exact same as u, been wanting to move for ages but too anxious and slow about deciding to just go myself, basicially waiting for someone to decide to come with me!! be very interested in finding some sort of forum where people who are thinking of going could discuss details such as living accom, job hunt etc!!

i really wish there was a forum! time seems to be going fast and i only have until November to decide....

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

do many people have luck in getting jobs ver there?if so count me in

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Job market here is not as bad as Ireland, but still pretty bad. Some states (California, for instance) are worse than others. You won't have a hope of getting hired anywhere legit if you do not have an appropriate visa or green card in place. Most employers electronically verify if you are eligible for employment with the government.

• Advertisement
Advertisement