Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with non English/Irish speaking motorists

Options
  • 20-03-2011 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

What is the procedure where a member of AGS stops a foreign motorist who does not understand english or irish say for speeding? Are they detained so an interpeter can be found that speaks their language?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

What is the procedure where a member of AGS stops a foreign motorist who does not understand english or irish say for speeding? Are they detained so an interpeter can be found that speaks their language?

We have a system where we can ring the station, get put through to a translator service which in turn puts us through to that language. Then place the phone on loud speaker and talk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Break all ties

Very good. Thanks very much for the info. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Is that the same for somebody who wishes to speak Irish?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,703 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

They can either be detained until a fluent Irish-speaking Garda comes along, or they can call one up in the manner outlined above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

ch252 wrote: »
    Is that the same for somebody who wishes to speak Irish? to act like a dick in order to similtaneously delay and frustrate a Garda, while getting a kick over this tiny bit of power they possess at this very moment.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

psni wrote: »
    They can either be detained until a fluent Irish-speaking Garda comes along, or they can call one up in the manner outlined above.

"Back in my day" we were trained to do all normal garda business, such as checkpoints and court procedure through Irish.
    I am sad to see my fears have been confirmed that the standard of training has fallen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

"Back in my day" we were trained to do all normal garda business, such as checkpoints and court procedure through Irish.
    I am sad to see my fears have been confirmed that the standard of training has fallen.

The OP asked what we would do if they couldn't speak English OR Irish........

Standard of training hasnt fallen....in fact far from it, the newer lads are getting degrees in Policing and it doesnt seem to me that the standard of Irish or infact training has changed since I joined.......in my opinion......as a GARDA......the standard has risen in regards training.

The standard of those who have been taken in may be different.....training will always get better over time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,703 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Since Irish is not a requirement to join, I fail to see how you connect a Garda's inability to speak Irish with falling standards of training. Remember, the requirements to join are English and another European language, which will be Irish for most Irish applicants.

However, it's 2011 now, and any national from an EU member state can join the force, so it stands to reason that a Polish applicant will have English and Polish, a German applicant will have English and German, and so on.

Unless you have access to internal statistics, how would you know if the standard of training has fallen - or are you basing it on the above faulty logic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

You no longer need Irish to join but you still must pass the Irish exams once you get in.

I've a question; if a Garda pulls someone over, and they don't speak English, should the person not be arrested for a road traffic offence or for endangering other road users?

My theory is that if you aren't able to speak English, you'd struggle to comprehend road signs and warning signs in English? Especially in situations where you need to think quick (Road ends, etc.)?

Or is that all ignored because a majority (though not all) of road signs are image orientated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

If somebody can't reliably interpret road markings and signs they probably shouldn't be driving anyway though, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

If somebody can't reliably interpret road markings and signs they probably shouldn't be driving anyway though, right?

This is Ireland. Don't mind our rules, let us bend them to suit everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

psni wrote: »
    Since Irish is not a requirement to join, I fail to see how you connect a Garda's inability to speak Irish with falling standards of training. Remember, the requirements to join are English and another European language, which will be Irish for most Irish applicants.

However, it's 2011 now, and any national from an EU member state can join the force, so it stands to reason that a Polish applicant will have English and Polish, a German applicant will have English and German, and so on.

Unless you have access to internal statistics, how would you know if the standard of training has fallen - or are you basing it on the above faulty logic?

I'm just basing it on the standard of Garda I deal with professionally, what I am hearing from my former colleagues who now work in templemore as instructors combined with the high number of dismissals(within 24 months of joining) from the force compared to that seen in the 1990s....as published in the Garda Review. It seems that there was a determined effort to put through quantity, rather than quality, to satisfy government promises of 2000 extra gardai.
    An Irish Speaker, In Ireland, is entitled to be dealt with at the roadside in Irish. This has not changed. Calling an interpreter to him is an unnecessary, and possibly unlawful detention.

I don't think a lack of Irish has anything to do with the standard of Garda.

Personally, I think that all Garda dealings should have to be in English, and only in another language at the discretion of the Garda, not the civillian.

I realise posting my opinion on boards doesn't change the law, but I do feel the law should be changed in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

An Irish Speaker, In Ireland, is entitled to be dealt with at the roadside in Irish.

I agree

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Irish speakers in Ireland are equally fluent in English. Maybe we should set up a task force for the Gardai and pump millions into rudimentary Irish training just in case someone requests to be dealt with in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

They're entitled to demand it, but one would hope that they'd have better manners and more wit than to insist on doing so. It's extremely rude to insist on holding conversation in a language that the other party isn't necessarily as proficient in when a more common one is an option.

This is understood damn near everywhere except boards.ie when there's a discussion about Irish and the Gardai.

We've gone way off topic with this one folks. OP has been answered and seems happy enough.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement