Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for playlists for 21st, 30th etc

Options
  • 20-03-2011 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi All,
    Done my first 30th last nite and went very well, however I was wondering if anyone has a set list tht the would usually play for 21st weddings, 30ths 40ths etc as this would really help me.
    At times I was wondering what song I would play next.
    Any help would be great thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

18th's 21st's and 30th's are pop chart stuff mainly, just check they like before and ask for their song, everyone has a favorite and its nice to know you've got it with you.

40ths will want memory track so be prepared for eighties music,

weddings are more complicate cause there will be a 60yr age span at the event, always get the couple to supply a list of favourites, make absolutly certian you have their first dance sorted, song, artist version that they want. rest of the time keep it upbeat and
    well known, when the greasy 16yr old boy sneaks up looking for tiesto and the room is full of 30 something red hot chilly peppers fans, dont just whack it on, explain that tiesto is crap and it would hunt people off the floor.

And dont play rock the boat unless the bride and groom expressly ask for it.

also weddings arent always like this, as the 90's ravers are settling down they still want a party, so dont be surprized if the expect a mixed dance set along with current hits from the BEP's david guetta etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 alicaffrey

Thanks for the reply, I had most of this down and really appreciate the help. But I found I came to abit of a blank as the night went on and thought if I had a set list it mite help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

The guide Quiggers gave pretty much sums up the genres of music you're going for.

If you're digital, a handy thing you can do while you're still finding your feet is to do up multiple practise sets (at different times...so you'll be in different moods and trying new things), save the full tracklisting of each (in Traktor, for example, you can save the 'History' playlist after each session) and keep them handy on you if you find yourself at a loss. That way you can just flick through them for ideas. If you're not digital you can just write tracks down as you go.

Eventually you'll get into a groove where you can do a gigs - and try new stuff - on the fly...but when you're starting out, the worst feeling is when you're panicking searching for the next track. And that's also when you'll make poor choices. This will at least give you the peace of mind to let you do your thing and focus on the mixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

leggo wrote: »
    And that's also when you'll make poor choices.

like going on Take Me Out? LOL

I dunno whether to be flattered or worried that you've obviously followed me for a few months, kept a close enough eye on me to know that and then took less than an hour to post after me the first time I post on the board since doing it...

Quit the trolling man. What age are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I dunno whether to be flattered or worried that you've obviously followed me for a few months, kept a close enough eye on me to know that and then took less than an hour to post after me the first time I post on the board since doing it...

Quit the trolling man. What age are you?

This from the man involved in Professional Wrestling. Ha!

Because pro-wrestlers are renowned message board trolls?

You're trying too hard now man. That last post didn't even make sense. Stop de-railing other people's threads. You're acting obsessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gazmc18

Op i find even at 21st parties they want cheesy 80's too. Iam ashamed to say but i put tracks in from the 60's right up to new releases. But parties do vary (some people bring a lot more older people than others, while some only bring their mates and not extended family)
    If you want a few lists pm me and let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Just get any 18 year olds iPod and put it on shuffle.

Same difference really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Just get any 18 year olds iPod and put it on shuffle.

Same difference really.
    Yeah I should have done that, took my 18 year old mates iPod...

Cannibal Corpse and N.W.A go down really well at weddings...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Don't be ridiculous… Everyone knows you should only play Napalm Death and Body Count at Weddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Only at good weddings.

They don't. Last wedding I did was for a mate. Played '**** Tha Police'. Went down like a lead balloon. Probably didn't help that he and half the party were Gardai...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Magi11

I gotta feeling whether you like it or not is one of those songs that will last the ages. If you're doing weddings you're also going to need a finale of songs when the bride and groom are in the middle of the floor with everyone around them. Could I suggest "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond and "Rule the World" by Take That. Finish the whole thing off with "Put em under pressure"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Magi11

The guide Quiggers gave pretty much sums up the genres of music you're going for.

If you're digital, a handy thing you can do while you're still finding your feet is to do up multiple practise sets (at different times...so you'll be in different moods and trying new things), save the full tracklisting of each (in Traktor, for example, you can save the 'History' playlist after each session) and keep them handy on you if you find yourself at a loss. That way you can just flick through them for ideas. If you're not digital you can just write tracks down as you go.

Eventually you'll get into a groove where you can do a gigs - and try new stuff - on the fly...but when you're starting out, the worst feeling is when you're panicking searching for the next track. And that's also when you'll make poor choices. This will at least give you the peace of mind to let you do your thing and focus on the mixing.

Amen to that. When I was starting off I did everything on the fly and once got so panicked that I played a track that I had played 10 mins earlier!! When you realise that every band has a set list then logic means you should have one.
    It also means that if you try something and it doesn't work you can alwYs run home to momma!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

i don't mean to sound harsh but if you are coming on here looking for playlists then maybe the djing lark isn't for you.

Most gigs tend to have a bit of everything and how much depends on the client and crowd. Some of the bigger dj company sites have playlists for potential clients and there is a website in the uk that gives the top 200 most played and requested songs. And don't go near doing a wedding until you know you can handle it fully - a lot of pressure on the biggest day of someones life!

Advertisement