Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Cirrus TX' Question

Options
  • 20-03-2011 1:04pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place, but i was hoping someone could help. I noticed two entries on my Banking365 this morning, both for just over €100 euro, but i've no idea what they are for. They are called 'Cirrus TX', and i'm just not sure if that's some sort of legitimate tax/charge on my laser card, or if i should be reporting this to the bank?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Cirrus = ATM withdrawal via an ATM which isn't your banks, I think
    In my experience, it's usually one abroad, but not necessarily

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So it could be a bank in Dublin, just not a Bank of Ireland branch? I've also got another charge for somewhere called 'Sweeneys NEXT' from Friday for €68, which again, i've no idea what it's for. LASER charges will always show up straight away, won't they? I mean if it says the charge is from Friday, it can't have been from earlier in the week and only showing up now, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

When you have a look at the posted item it will show date of transaction in the narrative. The day it is debited from your account and the day the service/item was purchased can often be different.

The cirrus transaction may be an Ulster bank or National Irish Bank one or may simply come up as a "Pass" item when you see your actual statement.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Looking back through my statements, i've never had a Cirrus transaction before. I can see Ulster Bank ones, as well as a few other banks, but no Cirrus charges. Think it might be someone using my account, though i've no idea how as i've never used my Laser card online. Will call the bank tomorrow and see what they say...just wish they were 24 hours, as i'm going to go overdrawn now with some direct debits due tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Your statement wont say Cirrus TX because the name or location of the ATM machine that you used will replace the words Cirrus TX, It might say cirrus / maestro charge which will always between 3 and 11 euro but thats only if you take out money in a country that doesnt use the Euro.

All banks in Ireland will say AIB Ulster PTSB BOI or what ever bank machine it was or the sort code of the branch that the machine is linked to with the exception of National Irish because they aren't part of the Irish ATM agreement, it will only say Cirrus TX until the bank post the debit to you account which will take a day or two depending on when the transaction was done then it will say the location of where it was done. This is so the money is taken straight out of your account as apposed to it only leaving a day or two after you took it out and spending more than you actually have!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Richie6904 wrote: »
    Your statement wont say Cirrus TX because the name or location of the ATM machine that you used will replace the words Cirrus TX, It might say cirrus / maestro charge which will always between 3 and 11 euro but thats only if you take out money in a country that doesnt use the Euro.

All banks in Ireland will say AIB Ulster PTSB BOI or what ever bank machine it was or the sort code of the branch that the machine is linked to with the exception of National Irish because they aren't part of the Irish ATM agreement, it will only say Cirrus TX until the bank post the debit to you account which will take a day or two depending on when the transaction was done then it will say the location of where it was done. This is so the money is taken straight out of your account as apposed to it only leaving a day or two after you took it out and spending more than you actually have!

Hmmmm....in my experience the temporary narrative (BOI) is Laser TX. Cirrus TX in my experience is transactions abroad.

OP similar happened to a work colleague just yesterday - he rang the bank and they confirmed his card had been used abroad (not by him). I suggest calling your bank immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭helen1

I had the same issue about a month ago with BOI and my card was actually skimmed. I have applied to get the money back and they said I should have it early next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I checked my BOI current account this morning on Banking365 and spotted a CIRRUS TX for c. €200 from yesterday that made no sense. If its an overseas transaction and I haven't been away in ages. Checked it this evening and there was another one for c. €100. I've have rang the telephone banking but it was well after closing time. I'll follow up tomorrow but from reading previous entries it would appear that a skimmer is at work? How's that when its a chip and pin card?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

The chip and pin is only for laser transactions in store. Atm transactions can show up as Cirrus if they are done in a non Irish owned bank eg NIB/ Ulster. Hope this helps.

sarahlulu wrote: »
    The chip and pin is only for laser transactions in store. Atm transactions can show up as Cirrus if they are done in a non Irish owned bank eg NIB/ Ulster. Hope this helps.

Thanks. More weirdly, the CIRRUS TX showing up today has a date of tomorrow on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Change the PIN on your ATM card immediately and then contact your bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Thanks. More weirdly, the CIRRUS TX showing up today has a date of tomorrow on it.

Which could be valid, if the withdrawl was a different time zone, China is 8 hours ahead of us

Thanks for the advices.

3rd day in a row, a 3rd unexplained cirrus txn. I changed PIN and transferred my funds elsewhere so theres no further room to withdraw. Got my card locked down by ringing the 24 hr helpline, so I'll get a card reissue.

I reckon my card was skimmed and pretty certain it was when I used a new AIB machine on Greystones main st on Thurs evening as things happened after that... Be warned guys.

Advertisement