Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Me Find an Event? WWA in Dublin 2002

Options
  • 20-03-2011 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

In the old Point Theatre in November 2002 I went to see my, to date, one and only wrestling event. It was billed as WWA (which later became TNA) and I remember Bret Hart made a special appearance but did not wrestle. I also remember Road Dogg was there.

The main event was Lex Luger and Sting against Buff Bagwell and Malice, I think, I know this match happened at the same event

Could someone, if anyone here went, either tell me whether there are posters or videos or photos of this event anywhere or if they can recollect the card that would be of great help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I remember Jerry Lynn being on the posters as well.

Edit:

Did you even do a google search mate?

Its the second thing that shows up after your thread!

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/results/wwa/021128.php
    1. OPENING MATCH: Shark Boy def Spyder "Nat" Web..

2. IN THE RING: Mike Sanders + Joe E. Legend..
    * Disco explains that Sid is no longer the WWA commissioner, and has been replaced by Mike Sanders!
    * Sanders comes out and bitched about Scott Steiner signing with WWE..
    * Sanders announced that there was going to be a hardcore midget match with Midajah as special guest referee..
    * Sanders also announced Sabu vs Simon Diamond and Malice & Bagwell vs Luger & Sting..
    * Sanders also said that they would crown a new champ at the Glasgow PPV..
    * Joe E Legend came to bitch about not been mentioned as a title contender..
    * Joe E said he trained Edge and Christian, that he slapped Kurt Angle back stage once..
    * Sanders announced a match between he and Legend later on in the show..

3. MATCH: Konnan def Norman Smiley..

4. MATCH: Nathan Jones & Frankie Kazarian def Disco Inferno & Johnny Swinger..

5. HARDCORE MIDGETS: Teo def Puppet in a Hardcore match with Midejah as referee..
    * Perry Saturn ran in and laid the midgets out before kissing Midajah and forcing her to become his valet..

6. MATCH: Mike Sanders def Joe E Legend..

7. TRIPLE THREAT MATCH: Sabu def pery Saturn & Simon Diamond..
    * Teo and Puppet had ran in and laid out Saturn!
    * Teo and Puppet also attacked Midajah and ripped her top off..
    * Saturn covered her with a towel and brought her to the back..

8. IN THE RING: Disco Inferno.
    * Disco confirmed with McManus that Jeff Jarett was joining the WWA in Belfast..

9. MAIN EVENT: Sting & Lex Luger def Buff Bagwell & Malice..

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nadet

It sounds like you went to WWA in 2001 and 2002 if you saw Hart and Road Dogg (they only appeared in 2001).

WWA didn't become TNA - at the time you saw the second show (the one with Sting and Luger) TNA had been operating for about 6 months.

Plenty of info on google and websites like OWW

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Thanks, I think I was obviously searching for the wrong things, but great to see the information is available. Anyone who might have pictures, videos and posters etc would love to see them....just in case

Took lots of photos myself but they're well gone lol
    Nadet wrote: »
    It sounds like you went to WWA in 2001 not 2002 if you saw Hart and Road Dogg (they only appeared in 2001).

That makes sense, must have been 2001 then, because there's nothing in that card about Bret Hart

# WWA Cruiserweight Champion, Juventud Guerrera, def Psicosis.

# Black Wedding Match: Gangrel def Luna Vachon.

# Hardcore Tables Match: Crowbar def Norman Smiley.

# Brian Christopher def Disco Inferno.

# Nathan Jones & Konnan def Lenny Lane & Lodi.

# Buff Bagwell def Stevie Ray.

# WWA Champion, Jeff Jarrett, def Road Dogg.

2001 show.

From what I remember from Bret's book he was on that tour and used to come out and slap the sharpshooter on the heel during the main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Yeah I was at the 2001 event, I'm almost sure I saw footage of it somewhere...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

i was at the 2001 show. Bloody fantastic. First live wrestling show ever I believe. Skipped a french exam to see it :p

I actually think I have a hand held recorded version of this somewhere in my collection.

Yeah like others WWA in 2001 was the 1st wrestling event I went to.

I remember they had live commentary that you could hear in the point (Jeremy Borash and I think Konnan were on commentary). I remember being disappointed because Jerry Lawler was suppose to be doing commentary at it but he went back to WWF around this time.

Bret Hart was the WWA "commissioner" and did a speech at the start and put the sharpshooter on Jeff Jarret at the end.

I remember as well that they announced Nathan Jones from "Dublin, Ireland" just so people would cheer for him haha.

I thought it was a great show because Ill always remember it as the 1st wrestling event I went to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Twas Disco Inferno on the live commentary, I remember being behind him and praising his pants.

How often do you hear someone say that?

Twas Disco Inferno on the live commentary, I remember being behind him and praising his pants.

How often do you hear someone say that?

Yeah that does sound right actually.

Something was telling me it was Konnan for some reason.

• Advertisement

I usually have a very good memory and I knew Konnan definitely had something to do with commentary that night but I did remember Disco on it as well.

Typed the show into google and brought me to this guys facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=41534380883&topic=12452

He has a review of the whole show and says Konnan was on commentary and Disco took over when Konnan was having his match.

I thought I was losing it there for a second haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I can raise you all one better; comments on their card in Belfast the night before and Dublin. Bear with the odd typo and error but overall you get the vibe :)

LOOPING THE LOOP

WWA in Belfast and Dublin

True to form, there had to be a brave and hardy soul that was lacking wrestling action so badly that he had to go to both cards. So, on the Tuesday afternoon, I made for Connolly Station and boarded the Enterprise ( I must say it is as comfortable a train as one can expect; roomy seats, blinds and curtains on the windows and full air conditioning in all seats, Kudos to Irish Rail and Northern Ireland Railway) that got me in to Belfast Central. From there to my accomodation, where as owner and editor-in-chief, I afforded myself the luxury of a B+B, unlike the hotel I stayed when in London, I slipped into my Rock Barby T-Shirt and biggest kicking boots, ate some Sirloin Steak ( for a fiver + a free pint of Stout, eat at the Bontanic House bar) and then hailed a taxi ( Well, the expenses covered that much, I'll be damned) that took me towards Belfast's Oddesy Arena. On the way, I had a great chat with the taxi driver, who is a rare one; he is a wrestling fan through the show on Talksport Radio. He was interested in what I was doing and as he dropped me off at the arena, I felt something good about the trip. I don't know what it was; maybe it was the impressive look to the building and it's setting beside the River Lagan; maybe it was the friendly buzz to the incoming crowd or the landscaped gardens at the entrance. But one thing I did know that night was that I was feeling good.

So the building itself, it's only two years old and it is a purpose built arena. Inside has a large lobby area with plenty of room to move around, loads of concession stalls and food points. There is also Beer sales, a welcome addition to any entertainment venue; there is also the additional benefit of bringing drink into the arena that not everywhere allows. As regards the hall itself, it is pretty much what you will see on TV with no bad seats but it is quite small in comparison to the typical Raw venue, I believe it seats 7,000 or so. Mind you, with about 4,500 in the venue, it made for a good atmosphere inside. My own seat was ringside, my sixth time for a front row seat at a wrestling event and for a moment, the excitement got to me. Only a moment though, then I realised I was working.

The card on for the night was quite good, with a cruiserweight contest starting off the evening between Psycosis and Juevvo Guerra. I thought the belt looked odd, maybe, it was the "US Heavyweight Champion" logo on the belt. I am not going to talk about the matches now, but I can talk about the ref with the WCW logo ( Get your own shirts ) or the Bret Hart fans sitting beside me ( Shout to Jimmy D who was sitting beside me ) or lots of things, so here's a few Belfast comments to ponder over.

I must say, the Belfast fans were very lively, with loads of chanting of all sorts of things. Bret got the old " Bret screwed Bret" vocals, Stevie Ray was reminded of his Bro's name, loads and loads of "What"'s. For the most part, they were very happy and were willing to react to heel and face pops. It helps that the arena is purpose built for crowds and as such it is well speced for acoustics. Buff as a face, amazingly, it worked well, thanks to Stevie Ray's diss the crowd effort, including a comment about needing police to go to school, Ouch, that's gotta hurt real bad!

Dublin on the other hand was a completely different live experience. For a start, the Point was a sell out, and a long queue outside the arena made for some damning at first, but thankfully, it moved quickly enough. Inside, it is a different story altogether. The Point was built in 1859 as a Goods depot for trains and is a granite structure. It looks cool outside, it has poor acoustics generally but wrestling seems somewhat special in it, possibly because of the tight balconies inside. The people inside were bananas for action, more so than those in Belfast, but chanting was less common in here. One oddity was the pop Gangrel got in Dublin when he was playing the heel over Luna, possibly because she looks so goddam angry. Buff also got pop, but less so than last night. Probably due to Stevie not dissing the crowd as badly.

Other things that I found interesting was watching the spots and seeing how tight they were in relation to each night, or indeed if there was anything different in them, which there was is the tag team match between the West Hollywood Blondes and Konnan and Nathan Jones, indeed this was substantially altered with a lot of work with some towel choking disappearing in Dublin and a different lead to the goozle by Nathan Jones, this time on Lodi.

Grandmaster Sexay is still the zany hip-hopper that we loved in 2 Cool, and he brought some tight work with Disqo, who is a heel by his natural charisma alone; the matter of his ****e work in WCW helps this. Still, he done the job well, no doubts he is working the tour as a booker.

The main event was good, with Road Dogg working the crowd brilliantly as he always could; JJ is a natural heel and the pair are well suited to each other. Even Norman Smilie was OK in the hardcore, not bad for a Different Strokes drop out.

Possibly the best working was the cute way that they made it feel like a TV taping. OK, we all know it takes more than 2 cameras to do it properly, but it added to the spectacle, as did the giant video screen and pyrotechnics. As well as that, the commentary idea helped put over the event as TV, as well as pushing Heel/Face characters. Commentary was provided by Jeremy Boresch ( wonder if he is anything to do with Paul Boresch, the legendary WWF promoter?) and Konnan, with Disqo providing the second half colour. Also the PPV pop in Dublin was a good idea to help sell tickets in May for the return tour, when the WWF will also be touring the islands. Allegedly.

But the best event of the tour for me was the slip by Buff ( I think ) that told us that the wrestlers were staying in the Hilton. Well, I needed no more encouragement so myself and a few lads went off to the hotel, which is 5 minutes from the Oddessy, and settled into the Bar there. And we waited and waited till 11:30, when the bodies poured in to the lobby. There they were; Buff, Stevie, Crowbar, Dogg and the man himself, Bret hart. The fact that he stood in the hallway for over 90 minutes talking to fans says a lot about the man,; the way he talked afterwards to myself and the other lads about absolutely anything, it was so cool. You name it, he talked; Owen, Vince, Bishoff, Stu. Dammit, he even bought us a drink. Alone, this was the highlight of the two nights.

So all in all, a good two nights work, and all I can say is that I wish them all the best in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I remember Lawler leaving just before this happened, seriously gutted by that, and the fact that Road Dogg told the crowd not to chant "D Generation X and the WWF" - he did it another way, but the crowd just kept chanting the WWF speech lol

It's funny, I used to hate DX and Triple H, and even though they were heels you couldn't help but adore the New Age Outlaws

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ManofStraw

I was at that event, was a great event, I even ended up in the ring after just the main event was over I hopped the rail and 2 security guards missed me and next thing I was in the ring, tried to climb to the top of the turnbuckle but I was only about 14 at the time and made it to the second rope before I copped quite how high it was and jumped down bounced off the ropes and then got thrown out by the security guard. Great memory

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nadet

I remember feeling sorry for you guys cos although I'm sure it was a great night of action it wasn't until after the 2001 Irish dates that Scott Steiner started working the tour.

His promo's were very funny and he was a good addition to the main events.

Bear in mind he was a huge star of WCW so seeing him perform as Big Poppa Pump was a huge deal (without the benefit of a crystal ball no-one knew if guys like Steiner and Jarrett would ever be seen on a tv product again),

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭sixfingered

I was at the 2001 show, my only memory was of Bret Hart and the main event so thanks for all the info provided here guys :)

Advertisement