Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Scanned by an aerial laser....

Options
  • 19-03-2011 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭

KuGTW.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

looks like somone did it who is terrible at Minecraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

looks like someone really enjoyed playing with their lego

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

looks like a Peter Gabriel video that got out of hand

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

Traffic is mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Spore

Looks like minecraft lego Peter Gabriel out of hand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

Cheap equipment. Ive seen even low-end GIS projects using much better kit that produced extraordinarily good 3d renderings of buildings.

(unless this IS a minecraft thing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Looks like someone ate Lego, and then vomited Minecraft.

Pft. I've made better things out of Technix.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

How does the laser see the pillars in the buildings and underneath trees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Menolias

tiecock2.jpg
    "Use the force Luke"

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The problem there is probably the rendering, not the data as such. Better software could probably smooth out the lego look.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    How does the laser see the pillars in the buildings and underneath trees?
    It can see through glass and other transparent materials, depending on the wavelength used. However, the amount of light coming back through glass (it has to pass through twice), water, leaves, cloth, etc. is limited. In that image, it can see into the Central Bank through the glass, but can't pick up detail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIDAR

Victor wrote: »
    It can see through glass and other transparent materials, depending on the wavelength used. However, the amount of light coming back through glass (it has to pass through twice), water, leaves, cloth, etc. is limited. In that image, it can see into the Central Bank through the glass, but can't pick up detail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIDAR
    Maybe I'm being a bit too literal when I see aerial but if the laser is pointing straight down how does it see around the roof of the building and show empty space in-between the pillars?

If he's just using the laser from an elevated position it makes sense. But that's not aerial damnit!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ScumLord wrote: »
    Maybe I'm being a bit too literal when I see aerial but if the laser is pointing straight down how does it see around the roof of the building and show empty space in-between the pillars?

If he's just using the laser from an elevated position it makes sense. But that's not aerial damnit!

Are you talking about the Bank of Ireland building? The columns are external. http://www.google.ie/images?hl=en&q=bank%20of%20ireland%20college%20green&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=800&bih=411

I don't know what they used for the Dublin image, but look at the image of the paraplane on the wiki link I gave. You can stick the sensor on anything. The first I heard of LIDAR sensors was them being on naval patrol planes looking for shallow submarines and mines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Where's the rest of it?

Victor wrote: »
    This is going to sound pedantic but an aerial shot from above shouldn't be able to see the columns as they are under the roof. But that's just me assuming by aerial he means straight down.

Advertisement