Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politics: Abuse of privileges by 'Black Swan'

Options
  • 19-03-2011 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

I received 2 infractions by the same moderator 'Black Swan' who I believe was personally offended by my comments regarding the military attack on Libya.

My argument was simply to oppose any military attack because i'm anti-war and 'Black Swan' infracted me because he feels I insulted those in favour of attacking Libya.

When I asked for explanation, I received another infraction...I have made an attempt to contact 'Black Swan' for explanation but got no response.

My posts were subsequently deleted by 'Black Swan' therefore i can't link to them...

Would Black Swan care to explain here why the posts were removed?

I feel this moderator is abusing his position and privileges on this forum to suppress any opinion which he doesn't agree with.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

As I stated in the Help Desk, the first stage of the process is to PM the mod. Have you done that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭phosphate

Yes I did and the only response I got was threat of more infractions.

Hi phosphate,
    Please be advised that it is frequent practice to delete posts that violate the charter and boards.ie Terms of Use guidelines.

Please also be advised that PM's are covered by the same boards.ie Terms of Use guidelines as are posts, and that offensive PMs can also be warned, infracted, and may lead to bans.

Sincerely,
    Black Swan

How am I supposed to argue my position when he deleted the posts?

This is definitely 1 moderator who has bias regarding US foreign policy.

How did he become moderator of politics? ....

I have brought this thread to the attention of 'Black Swan' but i've yet to get this resolved.

What I would hope is some other moderators see my posts and judge whether they breached forum charter or not.

2 infractions for simply expressing an opinion which Black Swan didn't like isn't justified in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

From a quick read, both posts deserved the infractions they got. Calling people names, or complaining of people's stupidity because they disagree with you is not acceptable on the forum. Your opinion and/or stance on the issue is irrelevant, someone from either side of the debate doing what you did would merit infractions.

The other CMods may or may not agree with my analysis here but as far as I can see this is a very straightforward case and the infractions were quite simply warranted given your breach of the charter for the forum.

So it's also acceptable to delete the posts?

Since when was calling someone a minion or gulpin a breach of charter?

What words are acceptable?

If I say "you're naive" or "you're very gullible" that wouldn't be considered an insult?

Black Swan is a US citizen so she might be inclined to disagree with any criticism of the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

phosphate wrote: »
    So it's also acceptable to delete the posts?

Since when was calling someone a minion or gulpin a breach of charter?

What words are acceptable?

If I say "you're naive" or "you're very gullible" that wouldn't be considered an insult?

Black Swan is a US citizen so she might be inclined to disagree with any criticism of the US.

Deleting posts is fine if they would derail a thread by being left up. Your's would, so deleting them is grand.

The key rule to follow on this site is "Attack the post, not the poster." This is why you shouldn't call someone gullible or naive. Or call them a gulpin or a minion of some movement or power. Argue against people, don't descend into name calling, the latter will result in you not having long to post in the forum, the former will result in you becoming a valuable member of the community. All (well, almost all) views are welcome, what we in general do is regulate behaviour not views. It is perfectly acceptable and welcome to hold a strong anti-war position on the forum, what is not acceptable is name calling.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

nesf wrote: »
    The other CMods may or may not agree with my analysis here but as far as I can see this is a very straightforward case and the infractions were quite simply warranted given your breach of the charter for the forum.
    Agreed, this is a straightforward case. phosphate - there's no agenda here - you insulted other posters and got infracted accordingly.

Advertisement