Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill island Vs Aran islands

Options
  • 19-03-2011 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

...is one much better than the other for weekend nightlife?

visiting both for at least 2 nights each, but just trying to decide what order to do our trip. The trip will be more about outdoor fun than boozing, but if one is way better for craic than the other on a fri/sat night then might organise to be there for the weekend. ...would there be any pub fun in either these places midweek?

5/6 nights from around easter monday into the May bank hol weekend, and might climb Mweelrea inbetween too. would prefer to doachill first, leaving a shorter drive back to dublin at the end after Aran islands maybe.

anyone have any opinions on whether its better to ferry to Aran islands from Ros an Mhil, galway or doolin, Clare...?

any other helpful tips info much appreciated,
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think you should go with the original plan - Achill, then Aran from Rossaveal.

Like this

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

thanks for your reply, and cheers for mapping it out too. that's exactly the route I had in my head, and might go to louis burgh and mweelrea inbetween the islands too.

why would you recommend doing it this order though?
    is it because weekend nightlife on Aran would be better than Achill? ....or is it that there's going to we weekend nightlife on either but Achill might be more likely to have some midweek craic?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Both places are touristy but I believe Inishmore is more craic generally.
    It's just more tourists there. Inishmore's proximity to Galway means a lot of people visit.

Whichever you decide to do will be good I think.
    Don't go to Inishmore from Doolin as Rossaveal is on the way from north Connemara before going through Galway on the way back east.

...........anyone have any opinions simply on which is better for weekend nightlife, pubs, craic, etc? ...Achill or Aran?

ignoring how any of it might fit into my itinerary, just which one would people prefer to go to if they had to choose one?

would be most grateful for a few opinions on this......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

thanks for your reply, and cheers for mapping it out too. that's exactly the route I had in my head, and might go to louis burgh and mweelrea inbetween the islands too.

why would you recommend doing it this order though?
    is it because weekend nightlife on Aran would be better than Achill? ....or is it that there's going to we weekend nightlife on either but Achill might be more likely to have some midweek craic?

nightlife on inis mor will depend on what tourists are there
    the locals will be in their own pubs glued to the tellies

• Advertisement

Rodin wrote: »
    nightlife on inis mor will depend on what tourists are there
    the locals will be in their own pubs glued to the tellies

thanks for your reply.
    I know it possibly won't be as busy as june/august bank hols might be, but I'm still guessing that a bank hol weekend coming into the summer in May will have near peak tourist numbers. ....am I wrong about this though maybe?

so, if I'm right in thinking there'll be plenty of visitors, then I'm still welcoming any recommendations people might have on where's best for evening fun....?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

biko wrote: »
    I think you should go with the original plan - Achill, then Aran from Rossaveal.

Like this

Improved it for ya here so you can take in places like Kylemore Abbey, Cliffden, Ballyconnelly(alcock and brown landing site) and Roundstone, before taking the evening boat to Inishmore

mayotom wrote: »
    Improved it for ya here so you can take in places like Kylemore Abbey, Cliffden, Ballyconnelly(alcock and brown landing site) and Roundstone, before taking the evening boat to Inishmore

good info. thanks for your help.

now would anyone have any advice on Aran nightlife please?
    ............would there be much ado on the May bank hol weekend?
    is there any kind of nightclub on Inis Mor maybe? ...just wondering if there's anywhere good for the saturday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I am from achill , midweek nightlife is quiet. Although alot of people. Will be around between Easter and may bank holiday. Think there is a 10k race on in Achilles may bank holiday so that should mean some entertainment for that. Ill check up later and see.

irishgeo wrote: »
    I am from achill , midweek nightlife is quiet. Although alot of people. Will be around between Easter and may bank holiday. Think there is a 10k race on in Achilles may bank holiday so that should mean some entertainment for that. Ill check up later and see.

thanks

we'll probably be headed for Aran islands before the friday of May bank hol, but good to know there should be a fair few around.
    would you recommend any pubs or bars that might be good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

Just back from Achill. Been going since I was small but this was the first time we had the weather for years. They've done some great stuff up there.

Outdoors, go for the Atlantic Drive(photo attached) but do it so you finish not start in Mulranny. 100 times better.
    The new Great Western Greenway looks great, we didn't get a chance this time but its on the list.

The Mulranny Park Hotel is good for a pit stop and a drink outside during the day with a veiw of Croagh Patrick across Clew Bat but the bar was full of scream kids in the evening and we found the restaurant was rubbish.

Pubs, you'll be lucky midweek but there might being an aul wedding to crash.
    Keel is your best bet. Only nightclub on the island afaik and its the main tourist spot.

Advertisement