Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling guilty about my puppy

Options
  • 19-03-2011 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

My puppy is 9 months old and he is a Jack Russel Terrier, he loves going on walks, but sometimes he is dis obedient. He runs and drags me along and yesterday he wanted to get at mys sister in the buggy (my mam was pushing it) when we were in the park and i yanked his lead back, one time so hard he tumbled on his back.
    He doesnt have a harness just a collar. I kept pulling it back hard and was getting really annoyed with him because he kept running around me and wrapping the lead around me. Its a stretchy lead so its made of wire and it cut my arm and brurned my hand.
    The problem is i was shouting at him and yanking his lead and thinkning back I feel really guilty. Was I being a bad owner or did I seriously damage his neck? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

No you weren't being a bad owner - just impatient. How old are you OP?

Your dog is still very young and needs gentle guidance. Can you walk the dog with just both of you? You can work on lead training with no distractions. You need a non stretchy lead, a bag of treats your dog likes and a shed load of patience. :D

There are a few ways you can lead train, one way is when he pulls, you stop dead, don't look at him, he will wander back to you, say "come on" and walk again. So you're only moving forward when he's not straining on the lead. You will be stopping and starting like a fool, but stick with it.

If that's not working, you can turn and go in the opposite direction when he pulls. Then when he's with you, turn to your original destination. So he learns pulling in one way means he's brought in the other. This is the only thing that works with my dog, he's a very bad puller.

Others will have different advice and maybe better methods, but the main thing is to remember to stay calm and patient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ILoveJRT

Im 16, and yes I can walk him on my own but he still strains on the lead.
    Thanks for those tips I'll try them when he gets back from the groomers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

JRT's pull on the lead. It's annoying, but normal. They just get so excited.

Treats help. You can always get a JRT's attention with treats when it gets over-excited. And yeah, just turning sharply around and walking the other direction until he calms down.

I got this:

http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=430

It clips at the front so when he pulls it kinda yanks him to the side and he can't get enough steam going to really tug you off your feet. He doesn't mind it. And his pulling is a bit easier.

(Oh, and try a normal non-stretchy lead. You'll have much more control. Stretchy leads can mean the dog literally runs rings around you!)

Advertisement