Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geiger-Muller Tube Gas Ratio

Options
  • 19-03-2011 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi,
    Could anyone tell me how to calculate the amount gas (In particular, Halogen gases) needed in relation to the empty space inside the actual tube. Also, someone tell me how to calculate the voltage needed when taking both the amount of gas and the area of the inside of the tube into account. Thanks.

(Just as a note, I'm sorry if I've phrased this wrong, I don't have any training in this area)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

90% Argon, 10% Alcohol vapour at 0.1 Atm.
    6-700v.
    Centronics sell them for 250e.

If you need a cheap source,
    smoke detectors have an Americium 241 'button' of 1uC or less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Woow_Aqualung

This is perfect. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

A PIN photodiode is an alternative to a GM tube, see
    http://www.maxim-ic.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/2236

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Woow_Aqualung

Thanks, but actually the reason I'm asking is to see if I can make a Geiger counter completely out of commonly found parts. The circuitry itself is fine, the only problem is the GM Tube itself. It's nothing serious I'm doing, now, just to see if I can, really.

Advertisement