Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather Data

Options
  • 19-03-2011 3:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm doing a project as part of my college course and was wondering if i would be able to obtain data about weather (highest temps, lowest temps, rainfall, sunshine, etc) based on areas (specifically Limerick city) from a reliable source eg. Met Éireann.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Hi,

I'm doing a project as part of my college course and was wondering if i would be able to obtain data about weather (highest temps, lowest temps, rainfall, sunshine, etc) based on areas (specifically Limerick city) from a reliable source eg. Met Éireann.

Thanks

Have you looked at the climate of Ireland section on Met.ie ?

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/climate-of-ireland.asp

It should have the sunshine, rainfall etc data you need

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

I would email Met Éireann directly as ask them for the information you need from the locations you need it from (say Counties Limerick and Clare). They're usually pretty good at replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Met Eireann will charge for supplying the data I think.

Use the Met Eireann monthly bulletins OP. They should be available in the official documents section of your college library. You'll get data for the stations in the area you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

SeaFields wrote: »
    Met Eireann will charge for supplying the data I think.

Use the Met Eireann monthly bulletins OP. They should be available in the official documents section of your college library. You'll get data for the stations in the area you're looking for.

Well, they gave me information (averages and extremes for temperature and averages for rainfall) for the Dublin area weather stations for free over email. I'm sure for more detailed information there is a charge, though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Learn to read SYNOP reports, that way you'll have access to all the raw data. Or if you are doing a college course might be able to write a computer program to interpret them for you.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 55 Verified rep MetEireann

Hi,

Thanks

See http://www.met.ie/climate/climate-data-information.asp.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

There is free data on the KNMI Climate Explorer site for a few spots.

Also CSO Ireland have monthly data for most of the main stations in Ireland back to circa 1960.

However if you want specific daily reports from the immediate Limerick area you would need to contact Met Eireann by email and try and get your hands on the data from stations in the region which are manned by part time recorders who take temp maxes/mins and precip totals twice a day. This data would come at a cost i would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Advertisement