Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems installing windows xp on a mac?

Options
  • 19-03-2011 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Ok so I own a mac os x 10.6.6 macbook pro but also a dell desktop computer. I currently need to put software on my laptop which is only compatible with windows as I will not be near the desktop and it is more convenient to have this on my laptop. So I went looking for the install disk, I do not have an original windows xp instal disk as I lost it but have a back up one I used to install onto the mac. So when I got xp running i tried installing the drivers, but alas discovered the install disk was only service pack 1 (my computer is on 3 btw) so I am wondering how will I get windows xp service pack 2 installed on my mac? I thought of downloading but quickly remembered I had no drivers :rolleyes: so then I said hey Ill just copy the service pack 2 onto a disk and install that way. So i went on was finalizing the installation feeling so pleased when it popped up. This annoying windows message saying I was 4mb short of enough space. Not possible I had 32 gb freed up for windows and the disc contained a maximum of 300 mb. Like I know some stuff about computing so decided I would have to do the dreaded slipstreaming of the windows xp. I dont have the original as I said so when it came to get the "Microsoft Corporation.img" file I picked a very similar (from the other disc) file called "BootFile.img" (i think) from the same location I would find the microsoft file. So i waited for this disc to be done and when I put it in my mac the mac would not recognise it and would not boot it. Similarly the pc wouldnt even open it.

Ok so I am sorry about the length of the question but does anyone have any idea what I can do? Help would be so great. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Your problem is that your installing Windows Xp on the Mac :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Andy101

Your problem is that your installing Windows Xp on the Mac :D

Ha i hope that was a joke lol, windows os can be installed on a mac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Andy101

Its grand actually sorted it out, had to delete a few files from the cd which were trying to install service pack 1

Advertisement