Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TY waste of time?

Options
  • 19-03-2011 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hullo!
    I'm in 2nd year, and I am very academic and sciencey etc. I'm not sure what I want to do at third level but I was thinking about doing a basic science degree at Maynooth and deciding what I want to do then, but should I do TY for work experience? I'm quite restless and don't really like doing trips etc. Anybody who was like me and did TY, what was it like? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

As a very academic & science-focused person like yourself, I loved TY! It really helped me open up and become confident in myself. There are moments in TY that I can clearly remember as key parts of my character.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chicken and Cheese

That sounds good then! Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

TY depends on your motivation and the quality of your school's programme. If the first is bad, dont do TY. If the second is, consider not doing it, or have a clear idea of things you want to do on your own initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 raz789

Hmm, I would say it's worth doing if you're school has a lot of things lined up. Take a look at what TY's are doing or have done this year. Personally I think..TY was fun in the beginning no Homework and a few trips. But now, I really regret it. I could've been out of school a year quicker. TY will get boring, but I did a lot of things this year than I would've in 5th. Really it depends on the school and how lazy you can be :p

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

It depends on the school you're doing it in. Our school has the best programme ever but I know my friends school don't do anything great.
    We did stuff like went to Delphi, Paris, Dublin cultural trip and we got to do the mini companies, were in our school show, did a drama competition, challenge to change competition, gaisce, horse riding, yoga, kickboxing, first aid and loads of other stuff...
    So yeah it depends. If you were in our school I would definetely recommend:P You could also have time to do your Young Scientist if you're interested:]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

It really does depend on the school you are in...my school is great when it comes to TY. We made mini companies, went to Delphi, put on a show, work experience, took part in the comenius project where we connected with other European schools, Log on and Learn and lots more...

As far as work experience was concerned, I was exactly like you. I am very academic and love science but I didn't realize half of that until TY when I did work experience in a lab. you should definitely do TY for that reason alone. You might to Work Exp. in a lab and realize that that is what you want to do when you leave school or you might decide the opposite. I would highly recommend you applying for this course: http://www.tcd.ie/Biochemistry/t_year.php when you are in TY -- thats the work exp I did and it really showed me how much I love science. Seriously, there are so many opportunities in TY that no other year gives you. It may be an extra year, but it is so beneficial regards the amount of stuff you can put on a C.V. after it and the amount of experience you gain which you may use in your future careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Also, I forgot to say that you are ONLY In 2nd year. There is no need to be thinking about what degrees you will be doing. I have changed my mind atleast 5 times this year. I wanted to be a primary school teacher, a lawyer, a music teacher and a scientist all in the space of 6 months! Now after my last work experience I want to be a cardiac technician! So Seriously, don't fret over career choices at this stage!

Advertisement