Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying iPad 2, Dublin

Options
  • 18-03-2011 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying an iPad 2 next week when it's released here in Ireland. But i've been checking out the US Store and they have shipping times of 4-5 weeks which is an awful long time.

I'm wondering how people are going to be buying theirs. I'd assume we'll get the same times as the US if not worse. I've been thinking about checking out CompuB and getting one there but not sure if there stocking them from day 1 and also a lot of people having problems with returns and repairs with them has been putting me off i've only bought stuff from the Online Store.

Anybody have an recommendations or idea's on what's the best way to get an iPad 2 in Dublin?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

We'll know exactly who is stocking them closer to the day, but CompuB are an Apple Premium Reseller, so they will definitely have them on launch day. I haven't heard about people having problems with repairs/returns from them, but you don't have to deal with them if you don't want. As long as it under warranty you can deal with Apple or any Apple Service Provider. I bought my iPad 1 from PC World, but if I had a problem with it tomorrow you can be damn sure I wouldn't going back to them.

Best way to get the iPad 2 is in a bricks and mortar shop on launch day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

We'll know exactly who is stocking them closer to the day, but CompuB are an Apple Premium Reseller, so they will definitely have them on launch day. I haven't heard about people having problems with repairs/returns from them, but you don't have to deal with them if you don't want. As long as it under warranty you can deal with Apple or any Apple Service Provider. I bought my iPad 1 from PC World, but if I had a problem with it tomorrow you can be damn sure I wouldn't going back to them.

Best way to get the iPad 2 is in a bricks and mortar shop on launch day.

A Bricks and Mortar shop in Dublin??? I thought they were US only stores owned by Best Buy or something? Thanks for the input though. Never thought of PC world either. Thats another place to try. I'll be taking a visit to both stores during the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

I got my iPad 1 in Arnotts, they had them on launch day so I presume it'll be the same for the iPad 2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

DubDJ wrote: »
    A Bricks and Mortar shop in Dublin??? I thought they were US only stores owned by Best Buy or something?

"Bricks and mortar" isn't the name of a chain of shops - it just refers to physical shops that are made of bricks and mortar, rather than online ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

Im going to be buying one on release day. Just going for the basic 16gb Wifi version. Dont know where I will get it though. I am buying it through work to avail of vat free prices but I do not know where will take the VAT off at the till? Or do i just get the money back with yearly VAT returns?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

phutyle wrote: »
    "Bricks and mortar" isn't the name of a chain of shops - it just refers to physical shops that are made of bricks and mortar, rather than online ones.

Haha I feel really stupid now for saying that i've always just assumed it was a US chain in America when they spoke about them online saying buy one from a Bricks and Mortar shop like Bestbuy. Learn something new everyday.
    Im going to be buying one on release day. Just going for the basic 16gb Wifi version. Dont know where I will get it though. I am buying it through work to avail of vat free prices but I do not know where will take the VAT off at the till? Or do i just get the money back with yearly VAT returns?

I know when you buy from the Apple online store you can add a VAT No. to the purchase info so maybe that's the best bet. But you will be waiting for over 3 weeks atleast i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

im open for correction if im wrong here, but i dont think anywhere will take the VAT off at the till. you can get a vat receipt and then claim it back

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

big_moe wrote: »
    im open for correction if im wrong here, but i dont think anywhere will take the VAT off at the till. you can get a vat receipt and then claim it back

Sounds right to me.

Advertisement