Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlady's memory issue

Options
  • 18-03-2011 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi!
    I am looking for advise!:confused:
    I was looking for apartment since December. Finally I found nice one. Great location and good price. I wasn't too worry about the fact that Landlady was 40 min. late for the first appointment, she forgot about it. I was just thinking that she is busy. I paid deposit (got a signed note for that) and we made another appointment for signing the contract, getting keys, etc. I took this day off at work. I had to call her before so we can set exact hour to meet. Unfortunately this Lady wasn't answering any calls. I wasn't too worry about scam, as I have landline number as well, she phoned me at 5 pm, and obviously she forgot about me, keys and everything we was talking about. She said she have no time today and she moved it for the next day :(
    This all situation is pretty hard for me. I understand that this lady is suffering from Alzheimer's Disease, but it might be very hard to communicate with her.
    I know all of the bills would have to be paid threw the bank to avoid the problem, but what if i will need something fixed and she will continuously forget about my problem..?

Please, give me any tips (?) I dont want to offend this elderly lady :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

You really shouldnt be dealing with someone who has Alzheimers, Ideally you need to speak to someone related to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Are you sure she does have Alzheimers and isn't just forgetful? If you are sure, she may not be competent to sign a lease etc, which could cause legal issues later. Can you (delicately) ask for the contact details of her lawyer/ child/ husband "just in case I cannot get in touch with you and need something fixed fast?"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 velvena

yes :) good idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Did she just come straight out and tell you "Btw, Ive Alzheimers"? Bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Perhaps the OP knows someone who knows the landlady. Anyway, if she is indeed suffering from Alzheimer's, does she have any family members who you could deal with instead? She's inevitably going to deteriorate, perhaps faster than you'd think and then what are you going to do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You have to be crazy to get involved in that situation.

Advertisement