Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Waterford Solicitors ?

Options
  • 18-03-2011 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hello,

I'm looking for a good solicitor in Waterford City or County. I have just had to do some important business with one and I've been unhappy with the service overall - fees/professionalism/competency have all been unsatisfactory. Once this business is concluded I'm thinking of having all of my affairs which will be sitting in their office transferred to a new solicitor for any future dealings.

I've tried Rate Your Solicitor.com (which my solicitor was listed as "AVOID" on), but I don't think the reviews were helpful or numerous enough to judge the solicitors on.

I've also heard that Solicitors in Waterford are somewhat cliquey and in cohoots with each other in terms of how they base fees and so on , is this the case and would it have any effect if you were changing Solicitors within the same area? If this was the case I would consider bringing my business to a solicitor in a different area/town.

Any advice or reccomendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    B. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

I've only used Cork based solicitors for house sales recommended to me by my dad and sisters. I had no problems with them, fairly reasonable and professional. Frank kelleher in Cobh and Harry McCullogh, Douglas

A few years back I rang around solicitors in Waterford when I was going through a divorce. They were all very pricey(all roughly the same fees) and I didnt like their attitude tbh.
    Eventually I did it all myself the DIY method, cost me the price of 2 registered letters, €20!!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

It depends on what type of service you are looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭deisemum

If it's for conveyancing then I can recommend Sonya Kennedy at Purcell & Cullen. She handled the conveyancing for us when we were buying our home. We moved into our home within 1 month of first viewing it, she kept on top of everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 viking2011

for conveyancing try John Breen in HD Keane & co in O'Connell st
    and Mark Walsh for the tricky legal stuff - very efficient - think hes with Kenny Stephenson Chapman now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

hrd solicitors highly recommended

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

viking2011 wrote: »
    Mark Walsh for the tricky legal stuff - very efficient - think hes with Kenny Stephenson Chapman now

He and another fella bought KSC a couple of yrs ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Mark Walsh - bring a large cheque book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 noidea

I'm a property developer of sorts or at least I was when there was a market for it! Used Leona McDonald from Newell Quinn and Gillen several times she's an excellent solicitor. Comes from a large family of property developers and just seems to get the whole process. V quick and effecient and has no problem fighting your corner with other local solictors re issues of delay or failure/refusal to produce documents. Quoted me a price and stuck to it no hidden extras and even sent us a Chrsitmas card when my wife and I moved into our new house which I thought was very endearing!

If buying or selling property in Waterford I wouldn't go past her TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Birdfood wrote: »

I've also heard that Solicitors in Waterford are somewhat cliquey and in cohoots with each other in terms of how they base fees and so on , :)

The same the world over, little to no competition, in dublin you might get some competition on certain things where they advertise rate for conveyancing etc. Best bet is to ring up, tell them what you want done and agree a price or at least an estimate. Ask what that includes and doesnt include because their bills when detailed can cost signifcant amounts for basic things like phone calls and deliveries. In my experience, solicitors and liars must personnal hand deliver all letters and use gold ink for any admin work

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭daaave

i've used nicholas walsh @ hd keane on o' connell st.
    i used him for the sale and purchase of houses, selling a small business and some other small issues i needed done. found him extremely meticulous and would have no problem recommending him to anyone.
    i think most will charge around the same for their services so its down to how good the service is imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 noidea

The price of legal work can definately vary in Waterford and I can say without hesitation that Leona McDonald is not the cheapest in town by any stretch of the imagination but as the saying goes, "if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys!" If you are buying a house you do not want to discover down the line that a mistake was made and the property is now unsellable or that there is a problem with the title/planning. Get it sorted first time round by using a reputable solicitor and not some hack advertising knock down prices! That's my advice anyway- best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Indo404

You can try: www.solicitorwaterford.com Down to earth guy. Have done business with him and his fees are very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sa_ba

Not a city solicitor but you could try www.neiltwomeysolicitors.com in County Waterford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lynchie2012

I think hillary delahunty the best around and very reasonable priced

he is in johnstown in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lynchie2012

I think hillary delahunty the best around and very reasonable priced

he is in johnstown in the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

my girlfriend says im good at lawying ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm sure the OP who started this thread back in 2011 has found one already,

Closing thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement