Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco charged me twice for same transaction

Options
  • 18-03-2011 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All,
    I made my weekly shopping at Tesco on Monday 14th.
    When I had to pay, the cashier made me enter my pin twice (saying it didn't worked the 1st time).
    Today I check my bank account and I noticed that the amount have been charged twice (on the 15th and on the 18th), both refering to the 14th.

I checked in my stuffs and didn't found the ticket.

What can I do ? I am supposed to contact mu local Tesco or my bank (BOI)?

Thanks for your advices.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

This has happened a few time in the past while. Always laser,always it doesn't go through the first time, always have to re-enter, always doesn't show up on you receipt,just the 1 transaction.

I say complain to both.

Call Tesco, ask for the customer services or Check out manger, say you have a complaint to make. Give the person the numbers on the last line in your receipt and tell them what happened. If you can e-mail a screen shot of your banking screen (only showing the double charge).

Or print off a mini-statement at an ATM and hand it in.
    They will escalate it and it will be investigated.

Also contact your bank telling them that Tesco have made a transaction on your account that you have not authorised.

DO not let hem put you off. The company has taken your money from you account and the bank has allowed them, not you. Tell them you need this money back in your account by close of business today as it is the weekend.

Hopefully one of them should get the money back to you ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    This has happened a few time in the past while. Always laser,always it doesn't go through the first time, always have to re-enter, always doesn't show up on you receipt,just the 1 transaction.

I say complain to both.

Call Tesco, ask for the customer services or Check out manger, say you have a complaint to make. Give the person the numbers on the last line in your receipt and tell them what happened. If you can e-mail a screen shot of your banking screen (only showing the double charge).

Or print off a mini-statement at an ATM and hand it in.
    They will escalate it and it will be investigated.

Also contact your bank telling them that Tesco have made a transaction on your account that you have not authorised.

DO not let hem put you off. The company has taken your money from you account and the bank has allowed them, not you. Tell them you need this money back in your account by close of business today as it is the weekend.

Hopefully one of them should get the money back to you ASAP.

Complain to tesco only for moment. You could inform the bank but a complaitnt is unwarranted if as it seems tesco went to take payment twice. Bring down statement to the store and get them to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Same happened to me with a restaurant in Lucan (though it was a credit card rather than laser card).

I rang the credit card company, and they said they'd sort it. Which they did. By reversing both entries :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,339 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If the transaction doesn't work, ask the sales assistant/checkout person/waiter to hand you the 'VOID' chit from the machine, do not let them throw it in the bin. Then if the 'cancelled' transaction does make it on to your bill, you have the evidence. If someone asks me to enter my PIN a second time, I ask them to first give me the 'VOID' receipt before I enter my PIN the second time, sometimes they have to rummage through the bin where they're just discarded the receipt but it's my money and I'm not paying for the same service twice.

I agree that you need to speak to the vendor first and not the bank. Retailers and restaurants and petrol stations see this all the time, they should sort you out without any aggro.

The Tesco till only prints a void if the transaction is not finished. It is an intergrated system.

Because the receipt doesn't say it was charged twice, the only proof you have is your statement.

This has to be escalated to the banking dept in head office so they can check if the money was take by tesco and refund the money from there.

The bank is Irish but not one of the big four. I don't remembering it ever happening with the last bank.

• Advertisement

Eirae wrote: »

I checked in my stuffs and didn't found the ticket.

Don't worry about not having your receipt, once you have the time,date, total amount and your laser card no. they can get a copy within about an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Chessala

Happened to me once before too with a maestro card from Germany. Went to the store to complain and they told me that the second payment is not really taken from the account, it only appears like it. They also told me it would be back on my account within 10 days, and true enough it was.

Thats true but on a laser care that means you cant take out that money, or DDs will be refused.

When its a cc you know it will be sorted and you wont be charged interest but on a laser your screwed until it's sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Chessala

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Thats true but on a laser care that means you cant take out that money, or DDs will be refused.

When its a cc you know it will be sorted and you wont be charged interest but on a laser your screwed until it's sorted.

It was a maestro card, not mastercard. meaning it was just a normal German debit card....

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

when this happens its usually credited back to the persons account within 5 working days. Its up to Tesco's merchant bank to return the funds to the customers bank and then the customers bank to process the payment back into your account.

• Advertisement
Advertisement