Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iMac Not connecting to wireless network

Options
  • 18-03-2011 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭

My iMac hasn't connected to a wireless network for ages. I've been happily using an ethernet cable, but want to move the computer. I thought the Airport Extreme base station I had was knackered, and so didn't bother to investigate the computer at all. I've been given a d-link DIR 635 but the iMac won't connect to it. The thing is my old Mac Mini connects just fine to the new network. Previously to connect to the internet on the Mini I'd set up a network from the iMac (connected to the internet by ethernet) and away I went.

So, the iMac will create a wireless network when connected by ethernet. But it won't connect to a wireless network. I've created a wireless network on the Mac Mini but the iMac won't connect to that either. All the other wireless networks in my area are password protected so I haven't tried to connect to any of those.

In a nutshell, iMac will create a network, but won't connect to one/any.

I assume it's something in settings, but I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to this stuff. The iMac's Airport "card" supports all 802.11 a/b/g/n standards.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

What happens when you try to connect to a network? Do you get an error message?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

No, I didn't get an error as such, simply a "connection Failed" notice if I tried to connect in the network preferences panel, but nothing at all if I used the menu bar.
    Anyway, it seems this is sorted (for now). I changed the DHCP settings to manual, changed some numbers and got a connection instantly.

Is there some way to reset the card to some sort of default?

BTW, I'm unable to "Turn Airport Off". I could click that button or select in menu all day and nothing would happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You can reset your Airport settings by deleting (-) Airport from the sidebar in System Prefs > Network. Then add it back (+). You'll have to reenter your network settings.

Re: Airport not turning off, you could try a few basic things, like restarting, repairing permissions, resetting the PRAM, etc. But it's kinda strange.

Is the Mac within warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

No, it's 4 years old.

OK, I'll take a look at those.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement