Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full sink line

Options
  • 18-03-2011 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

I flyfish river and lakes & I have a spare spool and I was thinking of putting 8wt full sink line on it.
    anyone have any opinions on full sink line & its uses?
    could anyone recommend some that wont cost an arm & a leg?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

im no expert now, but i'd imagine a full sink line would be useful for getting a lure to the bottom quickly on a lake. Also good for salmon fishing to get the fly down in fast water. I stand to be very corrected on this all the same!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

For general stillwater use, the most important sinking line just has to be an intermediate.
    However if it was to be primarily for lure fishing in stillwaters, or sunk line fishing for early salmon, a faster sink might be interesting.
    However much of that could still be done with the intermediate and weighted lures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

in my opinion rarely will you need a fast sinking line on irish loughs, normally becuase an angler will be fishing over relatively shallow water so if fish are deeper down in 10-12ft of water a slow sinker or intermediate are useful. Personally for brown trout i wouldnt use line that sinks faster than 2inch per second.

its entirely possible to fish too deep as well as to fish too high up in the water.

if you are looking for a sinking line a intermediate is a good choice with a sink rate of 1.5 - 2 inch per second.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

I use a Airflow Di - 5 ..

So it sinks 1/2ft per second.

When using such a line it's important to count down the line as it sinks and fish different depths..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

I use a Airflow Di - 5 ..

So it sinks 1/2ft per second.

When using such a line it's important to count down the line as it sinks and fish different depths..

i have used the Di3 before and it sinks like a chain...good for rainbows from trhe bank but in my simple opinion nearly useless for wild brown trout in large loughs.
    I have found the Di3 to make a splash when it enters the water no matter how well it is cast, and if its one thing a wild trout will see its the line entering the water, splashing or landing on the water. Therefore a lighter 6wt intermediate which is easier to present is usually better, especially if drifting at any speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Yes I agree, I now tend to use the Sixth Sense Slow Glass 6/7 when fishing lures unless I am fishing somewhere which has great depth..

Slow Glass has a rate of 0.5 inches per second...

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

Advertisement