Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TRADE: Sega Saturn - Not working

Options
  • 18-03-2011 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭

I have a Sega Saturn (Model MK-80200-50) that is not working to trade. It seems to power up but the cd access light just keeps blinking on and off. Might be of some use to someone for parts or they might want to repair it.

This saturn is the version with the oval shaped power and reset buttons.

External case is in good condition.

dsc3514.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

Dont know about history of your model but i know alot of model 1's where popular for the infamous swap trick method,thus slowly killing the motor with brute force.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Dont know about history of your model but i know alot of model 1's where popular for the infamous swap trick method,thus slowly killing the motor with brute force.

yeah, I know the trick you mean. I got this saturn about a year ago with a load of other bits. It never worked so I don't if it was used for that or not. The motor does not spin up at all in it so it could very well need a new cd drive in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

if you open it,and put a disc on spindle,then pressing the door sensor and adjust the diode pot you might get a vague spin.

if you open it,and put a disc on spindle,then pressing the door sensor and adjust the diode pot you might get a vague spin.

I think I'll just leave it. If someone wants it they can do that. I'll just leave it up here for parts or repair. Maybe someone can get some use out of it.

I decided feck it and opened it up.

It looks like someone used tape to keep the little switch that tells the saturn that the door is open or closed pressed in. Probably to do the swap disc trick more easily. I removed the tape and the switch went back to normal, so thats not broken. I can now see that the laser does activate and move but the disc mechanism does not spin up at all. So the motor on that part must be knackered.

So the rest of it seems to work ok, just the cd drive needs to be replaced on it.

Well if anyone wants it let me know, I'm sure the rest of it is good for parts or just a replacement drive and it will work itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,513 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The spindle in the middle is on a metal bar. If it's too low on this bar, it jams and won't spin. This seems to happen to Saturns after years of pressing discs down onto the spindle.

Try lifting the spindle up the bar. It might spin!

I'm looking for N64/SNES/Megadrive games at the moment.

This now free for whoever wants it.
    I'm sure it can be fixed fairly easily, I just cant be bothered.

It boots up top the normal Saturn UI but no movement on the drive.

Free, Free, Free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

I'll take it man :)

Can probably give ya a few 2600 games if ya want.

batari wrote: »
    I'll take it man :)

Can probably give ya a few 2600 games if ya want.

Cool, drop me a PM to arrange.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement