Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning

Options
  • 17-03-2011 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

I was in Tesco, Merrion Centre today and they are selling a Freeview set top box there for less than 20 euro.

This box carries the "Freeview" logo and can only be connected by scart leads. Therefore I am assuming it is not mpeg4 compatable.
    The box is made by Grundig.

Let the buyer beware!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yet in NI which doesn't get HD till end 2012 [mostly, some earlier in 2012], Tesco sell the "Freeview HD" boxes which work on Freeview, Freeview HD and Saorview.

Compatible boxes all do HD, so must have HDMI as well as SCART. Unlike TVs, there are no "Freeview" boxes with MPEG4 other than Picnic which doesn't do HD, so doesn't work. See http://www.saortv.info/terrestrial-saorview/the-black-list/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

watty wrote: »
    Yet in NI which doesn't get HD till end 2012,

Doesn't Brougher Mt DSO in about 12 months time?

Could be.

But Divis is near October?

Of course when I lived in East Antrim I thought my Granparents and some of their neighbours the only folk West of the Bann

I guess some lucky folk in N.I. get HD earlier. If they don't have a Dish already.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

watty wrote: »
    Could be.

But Divis is near October?

Of course when I lived in East Antrim I thought my Granparents and some of their neighbours the only folk West of the Bann

I guess some lucky folk in N.I. get HD earlier. If they don't have a Dish already.

This from Sam the Aerialman last Oct
    Just to add Arqiva have confirmed that Divis will switchover in November 2012 not March 2013 as is commented in places. There will be a planned retune of frequencies at possibly Divis & Caldbeck to uprate the COM muxes at Caldbeck which are currently low powered.

Brougher will go in April in time for the Olympics and Limavady will go in September. There's to be some re-jig to switch Crystal Palace, Rowridge & Hannington in Q1 of 2012. Midhurst and Heathfield will then be switched over mid summer.

Official sources were VERY unhappy about Currys campaign of deliberate import and selling so called "MPEG2" TVs "because most people have UPC or Sky and they use MPEG2"
    Actually MPEG2 is irrelevant as the Set-box does the MPEG2. Also both on UPC and Sky the HD uses MPEG4, but again the set box does it.

UPC "retail partners" Special HDTV offer appears to be incompatible, according to Jason of UPC. He doesn't see the problem of this. He could of course be wrong and the HDTV might work perfectly

His justifications and my argument is here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71224953#post71224953

• Advertisement
Advertisement