Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance claim question

Options
  • 17-03-2011 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

I have zurich home insurance and under their policy document 'Home Insurance Policy' found here http://www.zurichinsurance.ie/ex00.asp?ID=Usef01 p20 of that document states that for ' Audio, TV and video equipment.Damage:Accidental damage while in the home to radios, televisions, (including satellite decoding equipment) other audio or video equipment and computer equipment. ' is insured under this contract. But what is the correct definition of a 'accident'?

My claim involves a laptop worth 800 euro which I accidentally spilt water on-it no longer powers on. Would this be a valid claim?

Also since the excess on this policy is 250 euro per claim i would only get 550 euro if the claim went through. Is that worth it? Ive been claims free for 4 years now so should i let this go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Shanek320

From experience I would advise you not to claim for the damaged computer. Once your excess of €250 is taken into account you will only end up getting €550 from the insurance company. By claiming for this relatively small item you may leave yourself open to having an issue when you need to use the home insurance for something more important.

A few years ago I claimed for damage to a ring, which, following the excess led to me being paid €600 by the insurance company. On renewal of the policy I ended up being charged €600 extra which at the end of the day cancelled out any benefit at the time.

I suggest you take the hit on this one and wait until something more critical happens.

Regards.

Advertisement