Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows on Mac (Virus?)

Options
  • 16-03-2011 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Hope this is not a stupid question :confused:
    If I use bootcamp to install Windows on My Mac, will this make it vulnerable to windows viruses?
    Can it damage my Mac?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Windows viruses won't affect Mac OS X.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Westie123

A virus will only affect the windows bootcamp partition. I have installed antivirus (Avast), Ad-Aware and spyware detection software, just in case. These are all free (do a web search). In the worst case, you can reinstall Bootcamp. A clean clone of bootcamp would be handy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Microsoft Security Essentials is what you want for anti-virus. I've heard a bunch of bad things from windows users about free anti-virus programmes that used to be great (AVG is the one name that keeps coming up as turning to poop).

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Germag

I've used Avg with Xp and bootcamp eversince it came out. I have had only 1 virus in all this time and AVG got rid of it for me. I only use Windows for online poker and I never us Outlook express or Explorer. (The virus came in on a Paddy Power poker calculater). As a long time Mac user I hope that this continues to be the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Another vote for Microsoft Security Essentials.
    AVG has become bloated and slower in the new release.

• Advertisement
Advertisement