Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

large halo around moon tonight

Options
  • 16-03-2011 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

I remember reading itscaused by ice cystals in the athmosphere and that it usually means a storm of sorts ..but this is the largest halo I've seen by far ..I read the above a long time ago and not sure if its true any shed some new light on this for me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

4gun wrote: »
    I remember reading itscaused by ice cystals in the athmosphere and that it usually means a storm of sorts ..but this is the largest halo I've seen by far ..I read the above a long time ago and not sure if its true any shed some new light on this for me

i dont see no halo, but it does look alot closer, got a good view throught binoculars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

its clouded over now but the sky was clear at 8 'o clock in the north Kerry area, it was there

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

The last time I seen a halo like tonights one there was a big storm after it,I hope there's no repeat :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

chance of a sundog hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭taffy lulu

A supermoon !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

4gun wrote: »

Yep, can see it here too. Most impressive I've ever seen!
    Tried taking a picture, but with no tripod long exposure pics are a bit awkward, here it is anyway.

P1000394.jpg

from my perspective the halo was bigger or looked that way
    the moon beng a 5 cent coin and the ring being a dinner plate, so it seemed

thats a good photo

chance of a sundog hopefully

what is a sundog?

is it the day time version?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

The 22 degree halo is actually visible or partially visible around the Sun about 1 day in 4 on average in Ireland.
    If this is see, it means nothing more than there are stable and aligned ice crystals at altitude, usually from cirrus clouds.
    See a good set of explanations for the weird and wonderful ice halo patterns that can be seen here: http://www.atoptics.co.uk/halosim.htm

Haloes around the moon tend to be more visible as more people actually take time and look up at the moon at night than people look in the general direction of the sun, and though the incidence of haloes is the same, more people see the lunar haloes than the solar haloes.

Weather wise, it's often a suggestion that there is a warm front inbound, not necessarily anything to do with the strength of a system.

its there again at 2100 tonight..at this stage such a well defined ring is just nice to see for no other reason than its there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I was out tonight for an hour and a half, the halo is certainly there. It's heeeuge!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

johngalway wrote: »
    I was out tonight for an hour and a half, the halo is certainly there. It's heeeuge!

i see same thing, is it a sign there is a lot of rain on the way,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Wandered outside a couple of hours ago and I thought I was going insane, thankfully everybody else is going insane too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

saw it last night, it was enormous, but the picture i took didnt come out at all really . . 4 seconds of exposure, one huge bright mark in the middle and a faint ring round the edge . .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

The ring/halo is much larger tonight than I've ever seen before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

would that be the Giant Moon rising they are on about?! must admit the moon looks amazing tonight, bright and huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

The ring/halo is much larger tonight than I've ever seen before.

That looks sweet :D

That looks sweet :D

The one around the MOON. Have you lost your way while looking for AH? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

The one around the MOON. Have you lost your way while looking for AH? :D:D

Yeah the ring looks awesome is what I meant, did you misread my post?

Tried taking pics but its too cloudy and i dont have a tripod handy

http://pix.ie/eirejoker/2221831

http://pix.ie/eirejoker/2221830

Yeah the ring looks awesome is what I meant, did you misread my post?

Tried taking pics but its too cloudy and i dont have a tripod handy

http://pix.ie/eirejoker/2221831

http://pix.ie/eirejoker/2221830

Sorry, I was jumping at shadows. :D

Lovely pictures by the way

• Advertisement
Advertisement