Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silent sewing machine - Recommendations

Options
  • 16-03-2011 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I would like to get a sewing machine that runs with very little noise. I'm most likely to sew whilst watching telly in the evenings with my partner. The only sewing machines I've used had quite noisy motors, which doesn't go well with telly watching.
    Can anyone recommend a sewing machine for its quietness? Does such a thing even exist?
    Other than that, I don't have many requirements. I would only be using it at first for simple alterations, although I'd love to try my hand at dressmaking someday.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

See if you get to a singer sewing center, they usually have a few to try, bring some denim!! My friend has a new singer and it is much less mechanical than mine, more eletronic type sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 EnigmaFish

A singer sewing centre is a good idea - I think there's one on Talbot St.
    I should mention as well that I'm interested in an older machine. I've heard they last much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The newer ones are much quieter. Mine is 16 years old and it is noisy, but I can sew through 3 layers of denim without missing a stitch. Its less noisy after a service but not much.

It really is worth making a day trip to a singer center and checking them out. They sometimes have trade ins from people, that are older for about the €100 mark. Even if you just test them all out and decide what type of model you want then check the buy and sell or adverts.

My friends Singer is 1 year old and it is so quite, but it is not as strong. It stops working if theres more than 3 layers of cotton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Inkblot

The one sewing machine brand that I can really recommend with any doubts is Pfaff. They make the best and sturdiest machines. They might cost a little, but they are worth every penny.
    Mine is now five years old, never broke a needle, runs very quietly and sews very fine.
    Maintenance is also easy. I don't it matters which Pfaff machine you take - they are all good.
    Good luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

The new ones are definitely away quieter than the older models. I upgraded to a Janome computerised machine last year and I can't believe how quiet it is, my old Brother was so loud there would be no hope of listening to music or anything while using it! Agree with the others it would be a good idea to go to a store and test a few out, see what suits. Happy sewing!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement